Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrogen Bromide for Halogenation
aYoungKing
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 21:51
Hydrogen Bromide for Halogenation

will hydrogen bromide/hydrobromic acid act as a halogenating agent? similarly to hydrogen iodide in a 57% acid solution?

according to wikipedia hydrobromic acid is concentrated at almost 69 percent at room temperature, and for this reason hydrobromic acid may be a better halogenating agent than hydroiodic acid. correct?

discuss
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 05:46

Quote: Originally posted by aYoungKing  
will hydrogen bromide/hydrobromic acid act as a halogenating agent? similarly to hydrogen iodide in a 57% acid solution?

according to wikipedia hydrobromic acid is concentrated at almost 69 percent at room temperature, and for this reason hydrobromic acid may be a better halogenating agent than hydroiodic acid. correct?

discuss

Can you ask a question that isn't related to methamphetamine manufacture, please?

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-10-2014 at 06:21
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 08:37

This could be related to other stuff than making meth (for example, making alkyl halides from alcohols).

My guess is that a more concentrated acid solution will cause more formation of an alkyl halide, because water is produced in the reaction, so less water means the equilibrium lies further towards products. Iodide, however, is a better nucleophile than bromide, although I think this would affect the reaction rate and not the equilibrium, since iodide is also a better leaving group, and thus hydrolysis would be faster as well.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 10:10

It could be related to other stuff besides meth, but looking at aYoungKing's post history you can see Notears makes a valid point.

And no you cant use HBr in place of HI.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 12:56

Every single post has been directly related to meth.

He has never attempted to help anyone else with THEIR questions. We have 14 year old neophytes here who at least TRY try to help others, some quite sensibly.

My patience is wearing thin. The chemistry of drug production is a valid subject for discussion, and much may be learned here of related theory, chemistry and technology- But we are NOT a one stop shop for clandestine drug synthesis help.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 13:11

We need a Drug Synth forum.

Those wanting to (but can't) synth drugs can all chat there, and the feds will waste less time reading other random (yet interesting) posts.

Not that i can personally help with OC, but it does seem rather Rude to be asking how to do stuff to make Money, and expect others to give out the specific info for Free.

No wonder Smith Kleine/Glaxo doesn't have a public website called skg-drugmadness.org.

Go To Top