Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trans, cis, or both, Beta-Methylstyrene?
FriendlyFinger
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2005 at 02:57
Trans, cis, or both, Beta-Methylstyrene?

Hi there,
Got some p1p and turned it into phenylpropanol with NaBH4 then dehydrated with dry KHSO4, distilling the propenylbenzene at the same time. Bath tempretures up to 210 deg C. Then Washing then fractional vacuum distillation.

What I want to know is. Do I get trans, cis, or both. Also will anything but trans screw up the performic oxidation? Because I've had a lot of problems here.

Thanks FF
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 28-3-2005 at 07:11

You'll end up with a cis/trans mixture, though you may have more from one isomer than from the other. Epoxidation of alkenes with peracids is a syn addition, and the cis/trans orientation is not of much importance regarding the feasibility of the epoxidation.
Kinetic
Harmless

Mood: fine

[*] posted on 28-3-2005 at 07:12
Asarone analogue isomers

Hi FF
Nice to see yet another bee sigining up here.;)

You will get a mixture of isomers, the predominant isomer being the trans- (E) alkene. This is because the E alkene, and the transition state leading to this isomer, is more stable than the alternative cis- (Z) alkene and it's corresponding transiton state (for steric reasons).
Hence the stereoselective elimination will favour the E-alkene as product.

Checking a paper I have on the dehydration of 1-(2,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-1-propanol to asarone using anhydrous CuSO4, the authors report the product is a 93:7 mixture of E:Z isomers. I imagine that the ratio will be similar in your case. A representative procedure from this paper is as follows:

Synthesis of 2-((E)Prop-1-enyl)-1,3,4-trimethoxybenzene (5).
[...] 1.8 g of pure 1-(2,3,6-trimethoxyphenyl)-1-propanol was obtained. The alcohol and anhydrous CuSO4 (1.50 g, 9.3 mmol) in 50 mL of dry toluene were refluxed for 2 h. The inorganic salt was filtered off and the filtrate was evaporated to dryness. The residue was purified by column chromatography (carbon tetrachloride-ethyl acetate mixture, 20:1, v/v) to give compound 5 (1.4 g).

Reference: [J. Med. Chem., 43, 3671-3676 (2000)

Since you have predominantly trans-beta-methylstyrene, it is likely to be another factor leadng to your faliure to oxidise it to the glycol (and other similar products). Maybe you could try a different procedure, such as oxidation to the epoxide followed by isomerisation with LiI (http://rhodium.moppy.net/www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/epoxide.ht... for the oxidation and http://rhodium.moppy.net/www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/phenylacet... for the rearrangement).
FriendlyFinger
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2005 at 17:42
Very refreshing info

Kinetic, thanks for that nice info and reference, I'll look into it. I got paranoid about the quality of my propenylbenzene when I read a purification proceedure where they distill it from powdered NaOH under nitrogen.

I wouldn't say that the performic was a complete failure. In my experence, the modified performic using Na2CO3 converted more of the propenylbenzene into gylcol etc than the performic with NaHCO3, and the best yield of glycol etc was about 50%.

Rearranging that to P2P with tosic and toluene was very good, about 84%. Trying to rearrange with 15% H2SO4 with or without MeOH has been a horible experience for me. My impression at the hive with this subject was that performic oxidation of Trans-beta-Methylstyrene and the standard rearrangement to P2P was not really an issue .

You mention that;

"Since you have predominantly trans-beta-methylstyrene, it is likely to be another factor leadng to your faliure to oxidise it to the glycol (and other similar products). " What do you mean by that?

Thanks, FF]

[Edited on 29-3-2005 by FriendlyFinger]
Kinetic
Harmless

Mood: fine

[*] posted on 29-3-2005 at 12:53
Propenylbenzene

Propenylbenzene is pretty stable, and I wouldn't worry about if your only concern is the inert atmosphere during distillation.

My comment was made with regard to your initial question:
Quote:

Also will anything but trans screw up the performic oxidation?
I simply wanted to point out that, even if anything but trans-propenylbenzene did screw up the performic oxidation (unlikely, as Sergei_Eisenstein points out), then this still wouldn't account for your problems as you have predominantly the trans isomer, which is known to work. It was not meant to imply that for some reason 'anything but trans' would screw up the product.

I am interested to hear more on your success with the rearrangement using tosic acid. I too have had problems rearranging a related epoxide (1-(5-indanyl)-2-methyloxirane) using sulfuric acid in methanol. It apparently worked reasonably well, but an NMR of the distilled ketone is pretty ugly. I never tried reductive amination as I'm not particularly interested in the product.
Though there are some other variables to consider, the method using LiI gives a far cleaner product, essentially pure by NMR. Because of severe bumping contaminating my recieving flask during distillation I don't have an accurate isolated yield for the latter. I think it would be pretty good if I were to try it again though; better than the 63% I mentioned in a recent post in, towards the end of the following thread: http://67.15.145.24/~sciencem/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3006

Go To Top