Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Subscript days are numbered?
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 15:23
Subscript days are numbered?

It seems that everywhere, the influences of the internet can be felt. In the information age time can't be wasted on small details that can be over looked. I've noticed that this site, as well as the E&W rarely use subscripts when writing chemical formulas. Is this a sign of things to come? Or am I just being over zealous?
To tell you the truth I like the idea of no subscripts in chemistry, but I also like subscripts when I write them by hand.

N/A
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 15:33

I personally see them more as a style thing than a necessity. I write them because they look neater than simple numbers. They’re not completely necessary, as the information is there anyway. I don’t recall any instance where this issue caused a problem.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 15:54

They will be more common when richer text input systems become more common. Old-style BBS systems and Usenet didn't even support subscripts, since they just did plain ASCII text. You can use subscripts on forums that have HTML or bbcode enabled, but it is a real pain. You end up manipulating text strings like (CH[sub]3[/sub])[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub], and that's for a relatively small formula. In a system where you can simply press a key combination to toggle subscripting, and you don't have to look at raw markup code, it's much easier.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 17:19

I like subscript/superscript myself, however I was, until now, unaware that it could be done here or at E&W. Basically it's just an aesthetic thing on forums, as most people know what you mean by Na2CO3. But I guess it makes some formulas look dodgy (not using subscripts), mostly organics.

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 20:00

I really enjoy subscripts but occasionally when I use them in this board they actually appear as the XMB language and then they start sub scripting things they shouldnt and such and they occasionally mess up if you have long strings of formulas like:

ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2&l t;/sub>Cl + HOCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2&l t;/sub>OH ----> (-OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2& lt;/sub>OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>OCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>-)

Hummm....only messing up a little, maybe I'll start using subscripts again. Personally I like them.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 23:07

Hmm... subscripts.

I don't think that the use of subscripts will be deprecated anytime soon. It's just that our current method of communication does not make the entry of subscipts (inserting the "sub" HTML tags, that is) very convenient. However, once entry is facilitated, it would then seem sloppy not to use them. Subscripts, I think are more of a convenient notation to distinguish numbers from their other uses in chemistry (as coefficients, for instance).

sparky (^_^)

P.S. Now that neutrino has mentioned it, a button for subscripts and superscripts would be a welcome modification to the board! :D

[Edited on 8-4-2005 by sparkgap]

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 02:15

Maybe people would start using them if there was a button on the reply screen that made them for you ;) Something like a smilie button should work nicely.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 02:24

I can't be bothered to use em. I find myself forgetting to write them in school even :o

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
frogfot
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 02:56

It's prettier with subscripts, though I don't use them on boards anymore because of lazyness. Would be nice to have some key combination (?hot key) to make sub/sup scripts..

Go To Top