Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: EPA cleans up radioactive material in Boise apartment
feacetech
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 12:30
EPA cleans up radioactive material in Boise apartment

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/10/13/3426153_epa-cleans-...

I know it was one of you guys :p
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 12:54

Quote: Originally posted by feacetech  
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/10/13/3426153_epa-cleans-...

I know it was one of you guys :p

This is an interesting case.

The report says the initial NRC investigation was due to a tip and was concerned with "buying and selling radioactive material on eBay" (they don't monitor this themselves?). The NRC's focal responsibility and staffing is concerned regulating businesses handling radioactive material, so perhaps the "selling" part got their interest?

I haven't seen any uranium moving on eBay recently.

Apparently no actual unsafe conditions were encountered (but probably violations of safety codes, a different thing), no criminal law violations found, and no charges filed.

Not the best idea to do this in an APARTMENT, owned by someone else, and with adjoining other tenants.

[Edited on 14-10-2014 by careysub]
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 30-12-2014 at 08:26

Ooohh, this is going to be expensive. Just wait til they get the bill!
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-12-2014 at 08:50

Quote:

DEQ found containers with powders, residues and/or liquids throughout the apartment, some in unlabeled and/or open containers. It also documented equipment that could be used for chemical processing such as glassware and mixing containers. NRC said the tenant had in his possession a variety of radioactive materials that included suspected uranium, uranium salts and equipment associated with handling radioactive materials. Radiation levels in the apartment were low — reported to range from 0.5 millirem, the level in an airplane, to 1.5 millirem, the level outside of the Three Mile Island Reactor after its 1979 accident.

I understand the business of trying to extract Uranium & other elements from their ores. Home chemistry, element collection, etc. A poor idea to do on someone else's property and near others not involved, it sounds like improper storage too.

But the smoke detector radiation sources? THAT sounds like someone with intent to create a radiation source for transmutations- More "radioactive boyscouts"?!

Quote:

Weigel said the two apartment occupants were. for unknown reasons, trying to separate radioactive material from store-bought goods such as smoke detectors. Boise police reported there wasn't enough material for a criminal violation and it was not deemed to pose an immediate public health or safety threat. When police and Boise Fire Haz Mat arrived, they found the substance isolated and contained to a single upstairs apartment, police said. For several hours, residents of adjacent apartments that shared a stairwell with the apartment were asked to remain outside while the substance was investigated. The residents of the apartment were on scene and cooperative, police said.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/10/13/3426153_epa-cleans-...

[Edited on 30-12-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top