Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: carbene reaction conditions?
joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

Mood: what is mood?

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 03:07
carbene reaction conditions?

under which conditions do carbene reactions occur?
i did an a/b extraction of a certain compound and used a saturated NaOH solution for this, non-polar compound was chloroform. could it be that chloroform was converted to dichlorocarbene, which reacted with my product in solution? all was done at RT, no heat applied anywhere, just the standard a/b procedure.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 03:21

Yes, reacting chloroform with a strong, concentrated base will produce dichlorocarbene. :) However, the base should also be able to dissolve in chloroform. Methinks if you did form dichlorocarbene, not a lot of it was formed.

(edit: typos)

sparky (~_~)

[Edited on 22-5-2005 by sparkgap]

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 04:40

so you think it might have reacted with my precious substrate? i can't really tell if that happened at all, but somehow it looked like the precipitate (on shaking in the sep.funnel) changed its look.
sparkgap
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 04:49

Only a tiny bit may have reacted I suppose; chloroform isn't appreciably soluble in a concentrated NaOH solution. You shouldn't lose a lot of your substrate to carbene addition.

What was your "substrate" anyway?

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 05:15

it was an extract from San Pedro "Trichocereus pachanoi", huge specimen (~10kg). at first, i was wondering about the huge amount of alkaloids that separated out from my methanolic extract. then i thought it might have been phenolic compounds that i initially isolated, but on redissolution in VERY concentrated NaOH, the precipitate didn't dissolve at pH 12 so i guess it can't quite be phenolic compounds forming water-soluble phenolate salts. or do i need to go even further with the pH? i added solid NaOH until no more would dissolve.
sparkgap
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 05:35

Ah, I see, psychoactive cacti. :D

Having a look at the structures of your substrates ;), I can confidently say that whatever dichlorocarbene may have formed, your substrates will be left untouched. :)

I don't know the answer to your other question, since I cannot recall their pKa's.

sparky (^_^)

joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 08:35

i thought that phenolates were in the general reagion of pKa=10. plus, carbenes are electronphiles that would form isocyanides with my amine substrate! damnit!

[Edited on 22-5-2005 by joe_aldehyde]
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 15:04

In the absence of other reagents, what is the rate of dimerization of dichlorocarbene to tetrachloroethylene?

[Edited on 22-5-2005 by JohnWW]
sparkgap
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 19:57

Damn, I just plumb forgot about the isocyanide adducts, sorry. :( But you should have been greeted with an intolerable stench upon extraction since isocyanides as a family tend to reek.

Don't you have other solvents?

sparky (~_~)

joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-5-2005 at 20:58

well after i realized that NaOH/CHCl3 might be incompatible i instantly switched to Cyclohexane Merck p.a. which was also handy :)
you're right about the smell - my fume hood doesn't pull the air too well so i oughta have noticed. so it seems i got away untouched, yee hee (i actually felt a strange tingle in my bowels an hour later...slight nausea...i might have breathed some cyclohexane + mescalin base). some of the precipitate left in the beaker crystallized in LONG BEAUTIFUL needles. i wonder what THAT is ;)

and i tell you - i had to shake the sep funnel REAL hard to get all of the base compound into the cyclohex. phase!

[Edited on 23-5-2005 by joe_aldehyde]
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 23-5-2005 at 09:53

NaOH, chloroform and carbenes:

http://clem.mscd.edu/~wiederm/oc2chp/oc2chpphenols/page4.htm
joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-5-2005 at 11:05

thanks sergej :D so applying heat is a must. yeah!
azaleaemerson
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-5-2005 at 04:32

What sort of carbene do you want? I know you can make carbenes by decomposition of sublimed molecules under red heat. But I remember hearing that they mostly rearrange, rather than react with other molecules.

azalea
joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-5-2005 at 06:33

i certainly don't want any carbenes. they ought to leave me alone during my a/b extractions!
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-1-2007 at 19:49

A test tube reaction that is supposed to be possible using aqueous methylamine is the formation of an isocyanide (R-NC). The procedure is to heat 1 mL methylamine soln with 3 mL 10% NaOH and 2 drops of chloroform. Presence of the isocyanide is to be detected by its smell.

Wikipedia says the reaction is:

R-NH2 + CCl2 + 2NaOH --> RNC + 2NaCl + 2H2O

CCl2 is a carbene formed from the chloroform and NaOH.

I tried this but it did not generate a foul stench as expected so presume no reaction. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and had any success (or not).

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
stimo-roll
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-1-2007 at 12:23

addition PTC (TEBAC for example) may increase yeld.
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 16-1-2007 at 12:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
A test tube reaction that is supposed to be possible using aqueous methylamine is the formation of an isocyanide (R-NC). The procedure is to heat 1 mL methylamine soln with 3 mL 10% NaOH and 2 drops of chloroform. Presence of the isocyanide is to be detected by its smell.

Wikipedia says the reaction is:

R-NH2 + CCl2 + 2NaOH --> RNC + 2NaCl + 2H2O

CCl2 is a carbene formed from the chloroform and NaOH.

I tried this but it did not generate a foul stench as expected so presume no reaction. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and had any success (or not).

You need to do that in EtOH, or use a phase transfer catalyst.

Orgsyn procedure

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-1-2007 at 14:11

Yes, I have done a carbene experiment with PTC in organic class where CCl2 (from chloroform) is reacted with cyclohexene. The particular case I pointed out in the above question is a qualitative test tube test from my old (1962) lab manual. It does not call for a PTC per se. I was wondering if the methylamine itself was perhaps serving that function.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-2-2007 at 23:25
alkaloids

Weren't you trying to isolate the alkaloids? I started writing a critique and realized I'd gotten totally lost. Would you mind quickly outlining the process you used, including which non-polar solvent(s)? The carbene discussion sounds like you got sidetracked by the chemistry . ..which may be well worthwhile ..
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-2-2007 at 23:28

BTW:

There's a danger of forming inert carbonates ..I think this is especially a risk using methanol for the initial workup ...

Go To Top