Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydriodic acid from iodides?
NeverSleepy
Harmless

Mood: Sleepy

cool.gif posted on 12-1-2003 at 12:57
Hydriodic acid from iodides?

Could sodium or potasium iodides be used directly with h2o and red phosphorus to create hydriodic acid in place of iodine xtals? I think it should work.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 12-1-2003 at 13:03

You could use HCl to prepare HI from KI.

KI + HCl <----> KCl + HI

I don't think that HI can be prepared directly from red phosphorous, an iodide salt, and water.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 12-1-2003 at 13:11

You will not get good or pure yields of HI just by mixing HCl with KI/NaI. If you have red phosphorus, you already have the most difficult-to-get item needed for the easy production of HI, but you cannot obtain HI from the reaction of phosphorus and iodides. The iodine must first be liberated; acidify some H2O2 and add the iodide. You will get a voluminous, fluffy precipitate of iodine that can be separated by filtration. Unfortunately, this fluffy mass rapidly sublimes at room temperature, so it is hard to dry without losing a considerable amount of it. Additionally, it will need to be stored in a sealed glass bottle or the like to prevent its escape if you do not use it immediately. It will diffuse through some plastics.

It is possible to make HI without phosphorus from iodides by extended high-temperature distillation of iodides with phosphoric acid. This method is unnecessary work if you already have phosphorus.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 12-1-2003 at 13:43

Oops, I should have clarified: the procedure I specified would yield some HI in solution at equilibrium, not just HI. After all, HI is a stronger acid than HCl.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
NeverSleepy
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 12-1-2003 at 14:38
thnx pulv

I used to have dreams about distilling ki/phosphoric until 2000g of rp fell from the sky one day. This led me to believe that boiling ki with rp in water would liberate the iodide. So far the animal tincture seems to be the best deal. This lgrp has a strong sulphur smell to it, is this normal?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Polverone

[*] posted on 12-1-2003 at 15:21

Iodine tinctures contain some free iodine and some iodide, which is used to complex with the iodine to get higher aqueous solubility. You may get some HI by reacting it directly with red phosphorus, because of the free iodine, but I think it would be better to liberate the elemental iodine and filter it out before trying to make HI.

I've only handled small quantities of phosphorus, and it had a somewhat unpleasant odor that could be described as "sulfur-like" but I wouldn't say it smelled just like sulfur. Without smelling your phosphorus myself I can't speculate any more.

P.S. I want to live where 2 kg of phosphorus falls from the sky, so long as it has something like "JT Baker" or "Aldrich" on the side of the package (instead of, say, "U.S. Air Force.")
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

smile.gif posted on 8-2-2003 at 11:53
My preferred way to HI is by H2S

as this is in my eyes the most effective one with not to hard to get reagents.
H2S + I2 -> 2HI + S

The big drawback is H2S being a deadly poison. Knowing the danger and taking care is understood. The same way as i you are making this famous "cyanide barbecue".

H2S is made by FeS + HCl in a KIPP gas generator followed by an H2O washbottle (and an conc. H2SO4 wash if you need it anhydrous). Of course not a original KIPP is needed but it´s strongly recommended to apply the working principle of the KIPP for reasons of safety.

ORG
NeverSleepy
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-2-2003 at 12:10
Down to 700g.

If your going to mess with h2s, you mine as well say screw the HI and bubble that gas directly into a flask containing 30% ammonia, pseuso/effy, and a touch of alcohol for 4 hours like WizardX has pointed out.

NeverSleepy
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-2-2003 at 12:20
EDIT

For some reason the site wont let me edit that post so heres the edit.

pseuso=pseudo

Bubbling h2s into ammonia/alky/effy reduces the effy into methy!

Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 02:55
not asked for and wrong board

First: You asked for HI, not for ephedrine reduction.
Second: There are serious reasons for producing the HI if you want to to a reduction of an benzylic alcohol and not to use the H2S directly. Yes there are. But for this wasn´t asked too.
Third: You are on the wrong board IMHO.

sincerly yours
ORG
NeverSleepy
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 06:45
Its all chemistry

The-hive is filled with to many nerds that like to argue about whos wright or wrong like yourself so I dont post anything there. I asked a question and polverone answered it Nuff Said! Ive been reading your chemhead post and you dont seem to be the brightest star in the sky yourself. Im not going to argue with you so find someone else to prevoke.

Polverone

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 11:27
are you sure you've been to the Hive?

It has a very distinctive color scheme and a festive "bee" theme to it. Is this the place you've visited? The reason I ask is because the Hive could have already told you, in excruciating detail, how to transform red P and KI into HI, and how to use that HI to produce materials that will make you "NeverSleepy."

Organikum was right: in a thread called "Hydriodic acid from iodides," tips on how to reduce ephedrine with ammonium sulfide are totally out of place. It's a fact of life that threads will drift onto other subjects unless they are moderated with fascist vigilance, but that doesn't mean I like it.

If you have more questions that are applicable to general chemistry, asking them here is fine. But if you have specific inquiries about drug chemistry, the Hive really is the place to go. You don't even have to interact with all those arguing nerds who annoy you. Just UTFSE and read what's been written before.
NeverSleepy
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 12:13
Fuck the hive

Ive found that google and trying things for myself is the best answer to my chem Qs. TFSE did not have my answer so figured id try here instead of getting bullshit feedback or flamed over there. Ive found a few college chemistry type message boards that have professors standing bye to help with any chemistry questions I can think up.

Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 18:14
style

If you keep this personal style of insults and aggression I dare you will get problems on every board sooner or later. Not to talk from real life.

But thats of course up to you.

I agree absolute with you on the point that there are better sources of chemistry knowledge than drug related bulletin boards.
Books for example.
But thats also up to you to find and choose the way you like.

I - and thats my personal opinion - would appreciate you being a little more friendly.
Oh, and I never claimed that I am Bright_Star. :D

ORG
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 02:34

Can't we all just live in peace?
Ah, of course not, I forgot we are all humans. So I'm closing this thread!

Go To Top