Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ionic liquid
docberto
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-7-2005 at 15:30
Ionic liquid

I have just received some cetylpyridinium bromide. Its melting point is around 80C, making it an "ionic liquid." Does anyone have any suggestions of what to use this solvent for? I have been considering it to electrolyze a sodium salt. Would the sodium and/or a halogen attack this solvent? I can't think of anything, but there might be something I'm forgetting. Are there any cool reactions that require ionic solvents?
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 1-7-2005 at 22:38

Googling around says it's a "quat" (that's quaternary ammonium compound to 'ya...) that is used as a surfactant and antiseptic...

Maybe you can try if it can be used as a PTC? :D

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
mykhal
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 02:59

There's a nice book on this topic, look at Amazon. A copy of it in djvu format appears somewhere on the web. If you can't find it, I can upload it to axehandle's ftp as soon as I obtain an account.
docberto
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 06:36

Yes, it is a quat. Most of the ionic liquids I can think of (imidazoliums, pyrdiniums, tetralkoniums) are. The only ones that aren't are phosphoniums. I could use it as PTC but that would be a waste since TBAB is a lot cheaper.
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 20:06

I believe trimethylaluminum is considered an ionic liquid as it conducts electricity. Mp = 15 *C.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
docberto
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 21:00

It doesn't seem likely that trimethylaluminum would be considered an ionic liquid. It is an organometallic compound, and I doubt the bonds have that much ionic character. I also am skeptical that it would conduct electricity. How readily would the carbanion and the aluminum cation dissociate? Electricity needs free charges. Do you have any refs?
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2005 at 20:57

Well, I'm gonna have to admit I don't have a source for that because I had searched for hours before I found that looking for reaction information on methyllithium, and now I have no clue where it was from. I don't think it conducts electricity very well though, it just mentioned that it can.

However, if methyl sodium or methyl potassium are liquids they will be ionic.
http://www.mhhe.com/physsci/chemistry/carey/student/olc/ch14...

Unfortunately I can't find information on them, such as physical properties. Certainly an interesting group of (off-topic) compounds though.

But, organometals will not work as ionic solvents even though alot of them are liquids, as they tend to react with everything.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Lambda
National Hazard

Mood: Euforic Online

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 18:34
Available for download: Ionic liquids in synthesis (P. Wasserscheid & T. Welton)

Available for download:

A nice book on "Ionic liquids in synthesis" written by P. Wasserscheid and T. Welton. This book is a good image scan in DJVU format (4.13 mb) and has 380 pages reprinted in 2002.

Ionic liquids in synthesis (P. Wasserscheid & T. Welton 2002) (4.13 mb):

http://rapidshare.de/files/2810386/Ionic_liquids_in_synthesi...

Go To Top