Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Snail Bait
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 22-7-2005 at 16:25
Snail Bait

I invented new snail bait by accident this morning. I was doing an organic extraction by taking advantage of the fact that plant alkaloids are soluble in non-polar solvents in alkaline conditions. Anyway, I set some diethyl ether out side behind the shed thinking it would evaporate better out there. I woke up in the morning and all these stupid dead slugs had contaminated my experiment. I was quite pissed but oh well. Anyone know why the hell a snail would be attracted to diethyl ether?

N/A
saps
Hazard to Self

Mood: disgruntled

[*] posted on 22-7-2005 at 18:33

The chemical might smell like the female (or male) slug durring mating season. Therefore the slug of the oposite sex would be attracted. This might be slug mating season

was it just ether?

[Edited on 7-23-2005 by Polverone]
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 22-7-2005 at 18:44

saps: Please edit your posts if you have something to add in the few minutes after your first one in a thread. It keeps threads less cluttered.

tom: I can't answer, but I would suggest that you try laying out pure ether in your shed to see if that's what might have attracted the slugs.

What alkaloid were you extracting?

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-7-2005 at 19:53

I've heard they are attracted to beer too. Maybe their scent receptors can detect the acetyl group?

tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2005 at 23:53

Actually it wasn't just ether; it was starting fluid so it contained some heptane. Also I was trying to extract some psilocin out of this clump of shit I got from my friend. I'm not really sure if psilocin or psilocybin is a plant alkaloid, but the extraction procedure I got of rhodium's archive sounds exactly like a classic alkaloid extraction. I too have herd slugs are attracted to beer. What exactly does the acetyl group look like again? I know ether is R-O-R

N/A
joe_aldehyde
Hazard to Self

Mood: what is mood?

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 02:48

acetyl rests and diethyl ether don't really have much in common (smell-wise and structure-wise). furthermore, psilocybin and psilocin aren't classical alkaloids since psilocin readily decomposes in an atmosphere of oxygen and psilocybin is an inner salt and thus has a polar nature, making it quite insoluble in ethers. soxhlet extraction of raw fungus with dry ethanol works quite well i've been told.
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 07:17

I guess it did say to evaporate the ether under and atomsphere of nitrogen. But I figured that the molecule would only oxidize slightly. It also so said that psilocin would decompose quickly in alkaline conditions so I don't even know how well this extraction would work.

N/A
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 11:35

"The chemical might smell like the female (or male) slug durring mating season. Therefore the slug of the oposite sex would be attracted. This might be slug mating season "

Slugs are hermaphrodite. A "sex pheromone" for slugs would attract all of them.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 24-7-2005 at 17:50

"...psilocin readily decomposes in an atmosphere of oxygen..."

I don't really see psilocybin, heptane, or ether attracting slugs so maybe it's them decomposition products? :o

"...A "sex pheromone" for slugs would attract all of them..."

That would adequately explain why his experiment got contaminated, if indeed something in there smells like slug pheromone.

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-7-2005 at 20:12

I just thought it was really bizarre. I put out some solution to evaporate. It was a somewhat nasty chemical, and presto three slugs were floating around in it the next morning. I was pissed at first but now that I think about it, my original experiment probably wouldn't have worked so I stumbled onto a new experiment. Operation Slug Destruction. Pot growers from miles around will come to buy my magic slug potion.

N/A
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 25-7-2005 at 05:40

Did you try the control experiment, ether on its own?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2005 at 18:24

I was too lazy to distill the ether out of my starter fluid so I guess no it wasn't really controlled. I wasn't planning on consuming any of the extracts so I figured it wasn't a really big deal.

N/A
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 5-8-2005 at 18:26
indole slug

maby we could make indoles from slugs
yep that trip was 100 slugs man :)
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 09:24

Tom - have you done anything else like this lately? We have a slug problem in my office (portacabin) - we get in in the morning to find slug trails all over the carpet and sometimes the kitcken draining board and tea spoons. I don't have any diethyl ether so I thought I'd try something else. Last night I tried a soya based methyl ester (smells sweet - thought it might attract them) - I put some in a shallow pot - the slugs came (you can see the trails) but no dead ones to be found. Tonight I have some other things to try - some phosphoric acid ester - smells sweet but has pH of about 0.0 - I'm thinking if the smell attracts them then the pH will kill them if they get in it. (maybe a bit crewl though)

The thing with the beer is if you need to use a deep pot apparently - they climb in and drown. Was your vessel deep enough for drowning or did the solvent kill them? If this doesn't work I'll go for the drowning in some alcohol. (for me and the slugs) :):D
Lotek_
Harmless

Mood: itchy.

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 09:37

mabye they wernt atracted. mabye they move over that whole area that much and the ether killed them there over a 12hr period thru absorbsion thus it seeming like they were atracted.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DrP
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 02:06

Well there were about 4 trials leading to and from the pot containing the acid. Where the slugs had left their slime in the acid it had gone thick and gloopy. No dead slugs though. Also tried a pot of isopropanol - no interest. I'll try a deeper pot and go for drowning. :(
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 06:09

What if you add some KCN to flypaper and put that on the floor? They crawl on, get more or less stuck and die of KCN poisoning. (or any other number of nasty posions. K2Cr2O7 maybe?)
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 17:41

Wouldn't just getting stuck do them in? No way to get food or water or escape to a safe place. I know that's how it works with flies, anyway.

praseodym
Hazard to Others

Mood: crazy

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 18:44

Well, i think it all boils down to how you wanna kill them. Whether you want it to be a long, torturous, painful process for them or just a fast death where everything is over just after a snap of your fingers. ;)

Alles sollte so einfach wie möglich gemacht werden aber nicht einfacher.
DrP
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2006 at 08:02

The poison sounds like a good plan. I read recently that Iron Phosphate was poison for slugs and also caffine. I don't have Fe Phoshate but I do have some zinc phosphate, which I think is worse than the Fe. I mixed shed loads of instant coffee with a bit of Zn Phosphate and mixed it with hot water in a spray gun. I then spayed the carpet over their usual routes arround the portacabin. I left a piece of paper near one of the walls.

Success so far!! After 2 nights of this it seems that only one determined little critter has run the caffine gauntlet so far on both nights. He made his way across the paper and wandered arround the room stopping on the edge of the spayed areas - it then went round the edge of the sprayed area and back the way it came (over the paper). I have removed the paper now and hopefully it will stay away.

(I also found a gap in the wall where it meets the floor!!! This is now blocked with mastic - hopefully this will sort them out once and for all.)

Go To Top