Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Communic acid from Juniper extract
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 04:21
Communic acid from Juniper extract

Hi hoping sombody on here might have some ideas, I'm looking to make an extract rich in communic acid from Juniper (Juniperus communis) which is a coniferous tree which contains this Diterpenoid. It is not necessary to isolate and purify the communic acid just to extract it. I can get Juniper leaf, berries or essential oil as a starting point. Anyone know what part of the tree this diterpenoid would be found in highest concentration and what solvents would be best to extract it?
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 08:26

You probably have seen this already: http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/17/2/1448

Are you sure you can extract a reasonably pure compound using just a solvent? I can't find references for that. Try to find with the oil supplier how much communic acids there is in their product. Without acid/base workup or long, thick and tedious column chromatography I doubt you'll be able to make a relevant extraction from an essential oil.

Bromine, definitely bromine.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 16:14
essential oils

That's too broad a generalization. As an example oil of bitter almond is mostly benzaldehyde. Oil of wintergreen is over 95% Me-salicylate. Whether isolating a compound from an oil source is relatively easy or difficult depends on many factors. A. Shulgin predicated a series of phenylethylamines on their essential sources. Celery oil, I believe, was among them. Here's a link to a paper on communic acids.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...

[Edited on 2-11-2014 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 15:48

Pure communic acid is a solid so not sure it would exist in the essential oil. A solvent extract of leaf,berry or bark would contain it but not sure what part of the tree these diterpenoids are in highest concentration. I can easily get juniper berry's or juniper leaf.

Go To Top