Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silver Nanoprisms
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 14:05
Silver Nanoprisms

I stumbled upon this yesterday and found the result to be both interesting and pretty. They grow a base colloid of silver spheres and then treat them to a narrow wavelength of light. The nano spheres change shape and become 'nano prisms'. Their size and thus reflective characteristic reflective and absorptive spectrum is specific to the wavelength the starting material was treated with.

Silver Nano-prism synthesis

I got to wondering how a colored light would affect the crystalline shape and growth. I found this interesting web class that explains the interaction at around 3:00.

Nanoparticle synthesis class

The one reagent that would be hard to get for the home chemist... Bis(p-sulfonatophenyl) phenylphosphine dihydrate. I am not entirely sure of its function in the reaction. Does anyone out there know?

I may be interested in trying out other less aggressive and cheaper reducing agents. Dextrose? Sulfite?

quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 06:01

hydrazine, hydrazine sulphate?
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 17:36

I haven't read the articles yet but it sounds like it may be a templating agent, to help in self-assembly of the atoms. It's behavior may be affected by the activation energy which comes from the light characteristicly absorbed by conjugated systems of carbons. Just a guess.

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa

Go To Top