Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3D printed small-scale autoclaves
ziqquratu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 20:08
3D printed small-scale autoclaves

I just had this article dropped on my desk, and thought it'd be of some interest here.

These researchers have created 3D printed polypropylene autoclaves, including individual vessels of up to 20mL as well as "multi-well" autoclaves for reaction screening. They note polypropylene's good chemical resistance, as well as a working temperature of up to 140*C (melting begins around 150*C, according to the paper).

Although they're designed as single-use devices, they have noted advantages such as the ability to come up with whatever geometry you like, the ease of incorporating a "weak spot" which will be the place to fail in an overpressure situation, and the fact that polypropylene is extremely cheap, so you can reasonably throw the vessels away after use.

In any case, perhaps someone will find this interesting and have access to the equipment and materials to put it to good use!

3D Printed High-Throughput Hydrothermal Reactionware for Discovery, Optimization, and Scale-Up
Philip J. Kitson, Ross J. Marshall, Deliang Long, Ross S. Forgan and Leroy Cronin
Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Early Edition.
DOI: 10.1002/anie.201402654

Attachment: Angewandte Chemie 2014 Kitson PJ.pdf (1.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 616 times
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 21-11-2014 at 15:37

Thank you for posting this. I don't have too much to say about it but it is yet another great example of how 3-D printers are being applied in the chemical sciences.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 14:19

Go To Top