Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tired of using a water pump :(
DP
Harmless

Mood: Cranky ;)

[*] posted on 30-7-2005 at 15:21
Tired of using a water pump :(

I have been putting a water pump in an Igloo with ice water while doing distillations, but this is a pain. What are some alternates that provide ice cold water? I have been looking for a machine that cycles/refrigerates water, which also provides hose connections, but I haven't found anything of this nature yet. Does anyone know if such a device exists? If so, where could I get one or something similar etc?

[Edited on 30-7-2005 by DP]
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 30-7-2005 at 15:39

You bet there is such a thing. I have a neslab endocal RTE55D, similar to the one shown and I absolutely love it!
It has a small stainless tank for water and chiller coils. It has an adjustable circulation control.
Heats or cools at the flick of a switch.
You can pick a nice used one up for a couple hundred, maybe less for a well used one. Keep you eyes on Labx or Ebay.

[Edited on 30-7-2005 by ordenblitz]

[Edited on 30-7-2005 by ordenblitz]

neslab.jpg - 92kB
DP
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-7-2005 at 18:32

Thanks for the info! ;) I see some good deals on these machines at several websites. :cool:
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 30-7-2005 at 19:14

I guess much depends on what you're distilling, oridnary cold tapwater works fine in many cases.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-7-2005 at 19:39

I've used a machine such as that of ordenblitz and Thermal at school and liked it.

I also need to provide condenser cooling water to my fume hood location which has neither water or sewer. I have been considering two options:

(1) Buy said self-contained machine.

(2) Run a water line about 20 feet (7m) from my sink up over the rafters to my hood. For a drain I would have to use a small sump w/pump such as those used for gas furnaces (for chimney condensation disposal). This sump, which has level control, would then pump the effluent back to the sink drain. My lab is in my unheated garage so I would have to drain this line after each use in the winter to keep it from freezing. So option 1 is sounding better all the time.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
DP
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 07:11

I've tried to use the facet for distillations, but after a while the water here gets warm... even in cold weather. :(
demax
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 02:53

DP,

i think we are on the same page here coz demax is looking for ways to chill water as part of an aspirator setup he wants to build.

Immersion chillers are not cheap and the second hand ones are usually being sold for a reason ie, they are rooted!

Demax is thinking of building such a unit and is also looking at water coolers the ones unsually found in office tea rooms that dispense chilled water. How do those fuckers work?

Anyhow if i can come up with some solution i will get back.

taken it to,

demax
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 09:49

I have been looking at recirculating chillers on eBay and agree that even the used ones are expensive - and heavy! I suppose they have to be heavy as they are likely a small refrigerator plus a recirculating pump.

I see that the TIG welders also use such a cooler as do some computer applications. The computer machine does not use a refrigerator so is likely much smaller and lighter. I don't know if they would be suitable for condenser cooling use, however. You would have to know the heat removal capacity (watts, calories/hr or BTU/hr, etc).

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top