Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about microscale condenser joints
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 16:09
Question about microscale condenser joints

I made a recent acquisition of a microscale chemistry kit (with a few parts missing, but still functional). It included four vials (two different sizes, conical interior bottoms, cylindrical exterior bottoms) distillation head, claisen head, thermometer adapter, 2 condensers, a take off adapter and a whole bunch of those screw-together joints.

Here is the part that has me puzzled- the water inlet and outlet on both condensers have the same screw-on joints as the other joints where chemistry happens. Even more confusing- they are the same size- so not even my biggest hoses will fit on these. Am I missing something simple, or missing a part, or is there some sort of trick to this?

Here is a picture:

The one on the right is the one in question.

Thanks in advance!

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 17:05

They aren't hose nipples they are joints and what appear to be missing are the threaded female parts-sort of like bottle caps with big holes. If you can figure out the joint system and find missing parts you might salvage a possibly unwise purchase.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 17:53

I just acquired a complete Corning microscale kit, and have been researcing microscale equipment and techniques.

I'll help you figure out what you've got, and how to get the parts you need (assuming that that is possible - but I am betting that it is).

Do you have calipers to make accurate measurements of the joint/thread dimensions?

What are the exact markings on the pieces in question?
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 17:15

I just came up with a genius idea-

I took extra caps for vials, drilled holes in them, and superglued in a hose coupler with a barb that was cut in half. It works great! Success! I will have to post a pic when I get a chance.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Go To Top