Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Lab Coats
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 19:39

heres a relatively simply expressed article about grignards you might like to read: (not mine)

http://spot.pcc.edu/~chandy/242/PreparationofBenzoicAcid.pdf
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 21:03

Diddi, that is one of the clearest explanations and lab procedures of its kind that I have seen.
Organics is definitely not my field. It has to be spelled out in very simple terms for me to follow. Next time the topic of Grignards comes up, I know where I am going for a translation.
J.
diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 21:29

grignards are a really useful and fairly safe organometallic procedure, and I found that pdf a while ago and saved a copy for myself. great synthesis path diagram on about page 3.

almost useful at Y12 level if you had some keen kids and were allowed to use reagents other than water and NaCl in schools these days. hmmm

[Edited on 20-11-2014 by diddi]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 22:39

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  
grignards are a really useful and fairly safe organometallic procedure, and I found that pdf a while ago and saved a copy for myself. great synthesis path diagram on about page 3.

almost useful at Y12 level if you had some keen kids and were allowed to use reagents other than water and NaCl in schools these days. hmmm

[Edited on 20-11-2014 by diddi]
I might do some research, both on Grignards and also the curriculum documents and see if they fit. There is nothing on them in the basic textbook that we are using but it might be something that I can add for my seniors next year. If only to give them some exposure to something that may be useful in the future. And if I learn something in the process, what's the downside?

Edited to add...
I make sure that my students play with more than salt and water. I had one of my Y11 students demonstrating thermites to a class of Y8s earlier this year.

[Edited on 20-11-2014 by j_sum1]
diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2014 at 03:20

I found that seniors get a lot from looking at the transition elements. explaining colour in transition metal salts is quite challenging.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-11-2014 at 03:46

Ok. We are now well off the topic of lab coats, but never mind (unless someone complains.)

I personally have a fascination for the transition metals. That's where I would spend most of my time if I had opportunity.
Unfortunately we only get to touch on them briefly at school. And we don't have a lot of examples in the chemical store that we can use to show them off. That is one of the appeals of the element collection. If students get to handle some cobalt or tungsten or see their compounds, that makes a whole lot of difference to the learning experience. As for colours, I found this link some time back -- http://www.transtutors.com/chemistry-homework-help/d-and-f-b...

I will give some thought next year to modifications to the syllabus. I think I can tweak things a bit.

Back on topic...
There's a lot of pretty shades that you can stain your nice new lab coat with.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 21-11-2014 at 07:11

Both the transition metals site and the Gringard reaction PDF are great! Thanks.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top