Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AP Radical Changing
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 28-1-2003 at 13:28
AP Radical Changing

i was looking at Megalomania's page for Acetone Peroxyde ( http://roguesci.org/megalomania/explo/acetoneperoxide.html ) and i saw on the reaction that they're was a radical (instead of acetone) so has anyone tried to replace the Acetone in AP so i make another kind of Organic Peroxyde?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Flying Dutchman
Harmless

Mood: Like 20 pounds

[*] posted on 28-1-2003 at 15:14

There are more peroxides, HMTD is one of them. Do a search on E&W and you'll find more peroxides.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 28-1-2003 at 16:18

Other simple ketones can form peroxides under conditions similar to those employed in making acetone peroxide. Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, for example, can be made this way. I would imagine that others might be possible - methyl isobutyl ketone peroxide, anyone?
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

[*] posted on 28-1-2003 at 16:36

cool idea polverone, ethers form exsplosive peroxides, but your not gona want that!

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DeusExMachina
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2003 at 16:50

I was talking to Darkfire over AIM a few days ago and I told him about how I once tried making AP thinking that paint stripper (having toluene, methyl chloride and methyl alcohol in it) was acetone. After mixing the paint stripper with the H2O2, large slime bubbles formed so I shook it up and a white slime appeared at the bottom of the jar. I tried filtering it out and it looked like a clear gel/slime and it evaporated after aout 1 hout. Darkfire said that this could be methyl peroxide or something. Does someone have anymore information on this?

Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 28-1-2003 at 21:22

That was a wild guess really, im not sure if it could happen, but a methyl group on opposite sides of a peroxide seem possible, although likely non explosive.

My hypothosis is:

CH3-O-O-CH3

but then again im not as advanced as many other cheists here.

CTR

\"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it. I will seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.\" Duane Allman
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 28-1-2003 at 22:21

That compound you diagrammed would actually be an extremely powerful explosive. I doubt it would be sufficiently stable to exist at terrestrial temperatures; it would probably decompose (more of an intermediate in oxidation).

On a related note, I have observed the formation of a whitish oily gunk upon addition of 27.5% pool grade H2O2 to denatured alcohol. It wasn't explosive.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2003 at 09:55

After reading here i discovered that nitrated compound seam to be explosive (dunno why, if someone can explain it to me would be nice) but would it be possible to nitrate some Ketone Peroxide compound (like benzene can be nitrated) ?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 29-1-2003 at 17:49

Well the triple bond of nitrogen is very strong and holds/releases a huge amount of energy.

How would the compound i named by very powerful? Just wondering cuz it is nitrigen free, does it have to do with carbon, if so why isnt charcoal explosive?

CTR

\"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it. I will seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.\" Duane Allman
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2003 at 18:53

I think that it's because of the Oxygene and the peroxo bridge (which is unstable) so when it's exposed to heat it make the following reaction (theoricaly):
CH3OOCH3 + 3/2O2 => 3H2O + CO2
This reaction is exponential so that why it's explosive (also the bond thingy)

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2003 at 14:41

What about grease Peroxyde, i red somewhere that grease with base can make a Ketone, would do a sort of macromolecule, extremely explosive i think? Unstable?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 19-3-2003 at 02:57

CH3-O-CH3 and CH3-O-O-CH3 are gaseous they won't form upon addition of H2O2 on CH3OH!
Dimethyl peroxyde is one of the dangerousest peroxides it can detonate as a gas, or as a liquid.

What is possible explanation for the white stuff:
CH3-CH2-OH + H2O2 --> CH3-CH=O + 2H2O
3CH3-CH=O --> (-CH(CH3)-O-)3 an unsoluble white compound

Nitration or nitratation of CTAP is impossible because it would need heat to perform and generate heat but CTAP is heat sensitive.
Most likely, you would end up with oxydation products and explosion!
To perform this reaction you have to introduce the NO2 in the aceton prior to reaction to make a peroxyde!

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Chemical Peach
Harmless

Mood: alright, i supp

[*] posted on 15-6-2003 at 04:22
Chlorinated peroxides

Hi, I have heard it suggested before that a chlorinated form of a peroxide molecule could/would be formed if HCl were to be used as the catalyst in synthesis? does anyone have any good reasoning that would prove/disprove this? (i know that if this is true than the HCl would not merely be a catalyst)

Go To Top