Author: Subject: the affect of electric field on electrolytes
Dr. Beaker
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shaken, not stirred

[*] posted on 13-9-2005 at 08:21
the affect of electric field on electrolytes

a conceptual question:
I knwo that desalination could be made by method called electrodialysis (
see scheme) but if, say, I take solution of acid and subject it to electric field (strong enough to overcome electrostatic atraction between the ions) whould there be ph gradient in the solution (i.e H+ conc. falling in the area of the cathode and rising near anode)? what do you think?

Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-9-2005 at 08:54

If you do that with a non conductor you end up with a capacitor. Energy will be stored by the material between the charged plates. To actually move the ions away from each other would require a tremendous field gradient, or saying it another way, high voltage. The physical strength, and insulating properties of the container and electrodes would fail if you actually separated say a mole of H+ and OH- The electric force is very strong. IMO you would get some slight charge separation both in the electrolyte and in the container walls, but you couldn't develop a field strong enough to see actual useful H+. Water actually has a very high dielectric constant. You might succeed in 'orienting' some molecules with the field, as happens in piezoelectric crystals.
Quibbler
Hazard to Self

Mood: Deflagrated

[*] posted on 13-9-2005 at 09:10

Quite right the field stength would have to be very large. If however you put in other ions at the right Cd2+ say using a cadmium electrode the H+ would move to the left (as H+ has a very high mobility)and the pH would be reduced. Enough to produce a colour change in a pH indicator.
Dr. Beaker
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shaken, not stirred

[*] posted on 13-9-2005 at 09:51
thanx

thanx for the insights. that what I thout more or less. this can have very nice implication for me :D
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 13-9-2005 at 13:20

Yeah, and as far as I know, that's exactly what you're doing when you electrolyze a solution. It consumes energy because 1. the solution is conductive and acts as a circuit element, and 2. you are performing physical work by rearranging the ions. As a result, work is proportional to charge.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2007 at 01:56
Weird Thermodynamics

Rather than sort, it seems it will entirely immobilize by freezing , given a strong enough electric field.
http://www.aip.org/pnu/2005/split/742-1.html

Loud resonant sound will refrigerate also
http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/anvc/thermoacoustics/inde...

Go To Top