Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Phenyl isonitrile: the worst stench ever.
testimento
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 07:07

Does anyone have molar balanced equation for the forementioned phenylisonitrile reaction? I'd like to try it but I dont have aniline available, so could I substitute it with something similar?

Should this reaction work also with for eg. tert-butylamine (its primary amine isn't it?)

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by testimento]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 08:21

Almost any primary amine will for small amounts of the isonitrile with that reaction. And t-butyl isonitrile should be just volatile enough to really stink.

As mentioned, most alkyl isonitiles are not highly toxic, as they react with acids (and even water eventually) to make alkyl formamides. In fact, the best way to make isonitriles is from the formamide, reacted with POCl3 to form the chloroimine, which dehydrohalogenates when exposed to base like triethylamine or pyridine to make the isonitrile.

And the smell is truly unique, making you want to throw up, but not sure what the hell the smell is. Not like anything you have ever smelled.
TheGhostKing
Harmless

Mood: Lazy

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 11:52

after reading this my first thought was "I need to try and make this:)" speaking of bad smelling chemicals, does anyone know how to make Thioacetone i read about it here: http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2009/06/11/things_i_won...

I seem to have difficulty referencing my hobbies as "safe".
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness
Thread Split
15-11-2014 at 12:52
MaeBorowski
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-2-2024 at 19:07

For me, the smell of phenyl isocyanide resembles one of wet concrete but is emetic and scary. I was granted permission to carry out several lecture experiments and, of course, I did the Hoffman's test with aniline as one of them. I think my classmates still remember it

please leave comments about my English in PM
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2024 at 19:16

I used a few alkyl ones, years ago, and made some other small to medium ones, and they were horrible. Once you get the MW up some, they are not as bad, but still not pleasant. They are mostly useful for Ugi type reactions.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top