Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Competitions
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 14:00
Competitions

Any chance of a Competitions forum ?

Just that all this Challenge/Competition stuff is seriously impeding my serious scientific research ...

More accurately, it *is* making the competition thread(s) stay right at the top, occluding real questions/posts, preventing them being as apparent as they used to be before some cretin started all this Challenge nonsense.

OK. Hands up. Sorry.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 14:05

I think that will be a great idea.
I haven't been able to play but I have read the threads with interest. But I think they warrant their own space.
And, for what it's worth, I think it would be good to have separate threads for discussion and submissions: two treads fore each comp.

That said, I usually browse the "today's posts" link at the top and have a look at everything that is being discussed across the board.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 14:10

Yes, two threads makes sense.

Perhaps a Vote as well for winner would add interest, and a lot of value, as it'd be peer-judged.

Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 19:12

I would recommend waiting a few months, to see if the current influx is going to become permanent, or if it's just a trend. My suspicion is that it's a trend.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 22:21

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
I would recommend waiting a few months, to see if the current influx is going to become permanent, or if it's just a trend. My suspicion is that it's a trend.

We have enough ideas here at Rador to last us 2 years at least.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 12:23

Wir werden sehen.

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 14:24

A forum that only holds competitions runs the risk of being too small. On the other hand, it would get much more organised and encourage more members to participate. And if Rador Labs really have that many challenges, who knows?

At the moment I really favor the idea.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 18:16

Well, I would read the comp forum even if it was small. I am unlikely to participate for a while but it holds huge interest for me. The advantage of this format is that in one place there are numerous interesting procedures set out in a step by step fashion with pictures and full explanations.
Also there are interesting discussions along the way that show the practical hurdles and dilemmas of these syntheses -- if the participants choose to disclose these details.

I think that is why I favour splitting discussion and submission -- they get read for different reasons.

If the current trend continues (and it seems to have gathered quite a bit of attraction -- note the number of people who have donated even though they can't play this time), if the trend continues, we will end up with a really nice documentation of some of the best and most interesting procedures over a period of time. That would be very cool.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 18:55

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
If the current trend continues (and it seems to have gathered quite a bit of attraction -- note the number of people who have donated even though they can't play this time), if the trend continues, we will end up with a really nice documentation of some of the best and most interesting procedures over a period of time. That would be very cool.

We hope to hold challenges where video and photo documentation is crucial, and upload good videos to a third Rador Labs channel. It is a great idea when it comes to documenting procedures.

[Edited on 20.11.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...

Go To Top