Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: alkylsulphonamides, what do they do?
precursor
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2005 at 01:35
alkylsulphonamides, what do they do?

Hi!
I've not written anything on the forum before, so I guess I have to introduce myself. I'm studying chemistry at the university (surprise, surprise) and found a patent covering alkylsulphonamides .
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5705506.html

Could anyone tell me if it's a substance of interest I? The part "5HT1 receptor agonist" sounds fun to me, but I don't really know more... please enlighten me! :cool:
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 30-10-2005 at 06:12

Alkylsulfonamide group is present at position 5 in sumatriptan as well, hence the compounds disclosed in the patent are probably some sort of anti-migraine drugs.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 30-10-2005 at 07:16

Actually that patent is about a preparation of sumatriptan freebase for rectal use as an antimigraine medicine. Precursor, you will have to be more specific on what exactly you want to know about sumatriptan, its rectal use and what is so fun about "5HT1 receptor agonist" if you want anybody to answer you. Does the phrase “cerebral vasoconstriction” sound fun as well to you?

By the way, welcome.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
precursor
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-11-2005 at 16:06

It sounds fun because if I remeber correct then another known substance 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine also is an 5HT1-agonist?

Forget about it if I just got things wrong here..
stygian
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2005 at 16:36

5HT1 receptors are 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptors. People who do serotonergic drugs (MDMA, meth, and others) consider them fun.

Serotonin receptors control vasodilation (cause of headaches) among other things.

[Edited on 7-11-2005 by stygian]
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 6-11-2005 at 17:02

There seems to be some missunderstanding, 5HT1-receptors are not "fun". See this paper, Hallucinogens - Nichols DE; Pharmacology & Therapeutics 101 (2004) 131� 181, 2004; 101:131-181 http://rapidshare.de/files/7290366/Hallucinogens.pdf.html

Also, there is some general info in following NIDA monograph: http://www.drugabuse.gov/pdf/monographs/download146.html

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 09:39

Quote:

It sounds fun because if I remeber correct then another known substance 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine also is an 5HT1-agonist?

No it is not. N-methyl-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine has no appreciable affinity to 5-HT1A receptors. It’s affinity to other serotonin receptors is also quite low. It is a good monoamine releaser though, hwever quite unselective since it releases all monoamines in CNS (serotonin, dopamine, noradrenalin).
Quote:

People who do serotonergic drugs (MDMA, meth, and others) consider them fun.

“Meth” is not a serotonergic drug. It is mainly a dopamine/noradrenalin releaser thus causing the increase of these monoamines in the synaptic clefts of neurons bearing dopamine or noradrenalin as neurotransmitters.

However, nothing of this has much in common with sumatriptan.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
precursor
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 11:39

Sorry, then I got things wrong about receptors. I feel a bit more educated now. Thanks.

Go To Top