Printable Version  
Author: Subject: electrochemistry of SO2 solutions
Dr. Beaker
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shaken, not stirred

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 13:16
electrochemistry of SO2 solutions

I was wondering...
it is known that some sulphites can be solvated in liquid SO2 (b.p -10 C, can be acheived by ice+salt which gives about -12 c) if, say we take Na2SO3 (which is easily made from NaOH and SO2 in water) disolve it in liquid SO2 and electrolize, we might get the following at the anode:
SO3(-2) -> SO3 +2e-
at the cathode I believe we'll get elemental S or lower (?) SOx species like thiosulphate.
some other possibilities:
SO3(-2) + SO3 -> SO4(-2) + SO2 (SO3 is a stronger acid)
2SOx(-2) -> S2O2x(-2) +2e-
SOx(-2) -> SO(x-1) +2e- +O (oxygen in "state of forming")
however, both peroxy anions and atomaric O may oxedize SO2 to SO3.

bottom line, it looks like we just getting the sulphate and not SO3...

what you guys think? comments?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 15:45

Lithium batteries work in an SO2 electrolyte, IIRC. Should be able to reverse and obtain reduced metallic cation, no?
Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 19:53

Doing a quick search reveals that the lithium/sulfur dioxide battery is non-rechargeable, there are other lithium battery systems that are though. Still though, this is fairly off topic and not specifically the subject that Dr. Beaker was attempting to broach (although technically still under the correct subject heading). Personally I know little about using SO<sub>2</sub> as a non-aqueous solvent for electrolysis beyond the fact that it is one of the mediums that they first observed carbocations in from certain alkyl halides dissociating and dissolving to make conducting solutions in it.

SO<sub>2</sub> is somewhat of a polar solvent, being able to dissolve 15 grams of NaI in 100 g liquid sulfur dioxide, so I could see it being able to dissolve at least noticeable sulfite, but still if you can only pull it down to -12C or so, you're going to have massive vapor pressure, it will be on the verge of boiling, so I would say you have to go noticeably lower. For the electrolysis aspect. All the potentials are screwy in non-aqueous mediums, and you're working with salts of an acid of the solvent in question, you don't even know what kind of ions they will decide to form when they dissolve. So I really wouldn't hazard a guess as to what you would end up with. Never the less liquid sulfur dioxide as a solvent for electrolysis has been widely investigated in the past and I bet with a little searching you could find a nice juicy book on the subject.

[Edited on 12/5/2005 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top