Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Smell of Dumpster
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 17:56
Smell of Dumpster

Sometimes when I walk past a dumpster on a warm sunny day, there is this stinky sweet smelling odor. Does anyone know what the odor is, if anyone even knows what I am talking about?

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 19:40

beer + hard liquor + rotten fruit + fries + whopper + shake + coke + Taco Bell

probably heavy on the coke and beer :D

edit: + diaper

[Edited on 2-1-2006 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 19:46

It's actually a mess of many chemical, Methane, Mercaptan, H2S and other Sulfides are propably, but not the only, chemical causing this, most of them being decomposition product. The fact that you smell it especially on a warm sunny day is simple that the hotter the molecule are the more they tend to move and the more goes in the air, think of wam water vs hot water, one has more fume than the other.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 21:06

Plus there would be all the bacterial decomposition that would be more condusive with the warm temperatures. It's most likely some sort of odd, probably toxic medley of compounds, but I'll wager that most of them are organic in nature. Perhaps you should take a sample of the material at the bottom for analysis and become a pioneer in dumpster chemistry!
Cyroxos
Harmless

Mood: operational

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 21:53

What makes things odorous? I think I remember hearing something about odors being ions that bind to chemicals in the nose. Are there any certain chemical features that give certain gasses an odor and others none?

~ How will it end
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 14:15

It has been observed that chemicals with the same threedimensional structure smell likewise, regardless of composition.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 14:48

Yes and no, vulture. Enantiomers often smell differently, correct. However, receptors recognise something via functional groups, geometry, hydrophobic regions and so on - which is unique for each molecule.

It's quite simple - there are receptors made of protein, literally thousands upon thousands of them, in your nose, that bind to all sorts of molecules. Each triggers your personal perception of smell, like H2S. Some of them bind to various combinations of receptors, triggering a unique perception of smell. Thats why you recognise smells as unique even if you never smelled the compound before, and even if it doesnt exist in nature. Also, that's how a dumpster still smells sweet, or a wine may taste of plum, even though no plum flavouring is contained in the wine.

Some people can't smell certain compounds - and they have a mutation in a specfific receptor gene.

Search google for olfactory receptors.

[Edited on 2-1-2006 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 19:17

That reminds me. One day at work I was cleaning out a basement with an open sewer line. By the end of the day it smelled nutty, the way good aged cheese smells or tastes nutty.

Says something about both if you ask me :P

Tim (always enjoys a good aged swiss on a beef sandwich)

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 02:45

No one has mentoined this yet, but I would expect amines to be present as well. They are frequently produced by rotting meat.

Go To Top