Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Citrazinic acid; fail or success?
SomeUser
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2014 at 12:03
Citrazinic acid; fail or success?

Hey people.

I tried making Citrazinic Acid today, sounded like a easy project I could do without proper lab equipment.
But I'm not sure whether I was successful or failed at this.
What I did was;

1. Weighed up 11 grams of Citric Acid, and 5 grams of Ammonium Carbonate

2. Put 2g of citric acid in pyrex beaker and placed it on electric stove, turned the stove up to lowest setting( I don't have a thermometer, but I know
that citric acids melts at 153Celsius).

3. Waited for the 2g of citric acid to melt, then I mixed the remaining Acid(9g) with the Ammonium carbonate, and poured them into the beaker.
(I assumed that the (NH₄)₂CO₃ would've decomposed if I had poured it into the pyrex beaker without heating citric acid to melting point first)

4. Stirred the liquid mix of (NH₄)₂CO₃ and Citric acid, making sure that everything reacted. Also added some more Ammonium Carbonate, ~0,5g.

I heated it for about 15 minutes, might've been too long. First it went from white to slightly yellow, then yellow, then brown.

AND HERE'S WHAT I ENDED UP WITH:
(6g in total)

29072013002.JPG - 546kB
Powder/crushed crystals, excuse the bad quality.
29072013003.JPG - 736kB
This gets syrup-ish when heated, but is solid/crystal at room temperature.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 27-11-2014 at 12:53

It would help, if you would cite the references you used and above all measure the melting point. Surely you don't expect people are able to do spectroscopic analyses via pictures?

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
SomeUser
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-11-2014 at 13:29

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
It would help, if you would cite the references you used and above all measure the melting point. Surely you don't expect people are able to do spectroscopic analyses via pictures?

>spectroscopic analyses
haha you said anal

Does this thread here; http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8378
count as a reference? I used that one.

And I'm not able to measure the melting point! BUT, I put some in a test-tube and held it over a candle, it took about ~3 seconds before it melted. But a test tube over a candle is not reliable for measuring melting points eh.

ALSO! It is only slightly soluble in water, almost insoluble. It gives the water a tint of yellow.

Go To Top