Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wet Copper (II) Hydroxide Turning Black
TheChemistryShack
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2014 at 13:35
Wet Copper (II) Hydroxide Turning Black

I recently made a small amount of Cu(OH)2 by adding an excess of CuSO4 solution to some 1 M NaOH solution. I decanted the solution and let the wet precipitate dry. However, about thirty minutes later, some of the wet goop had turned black. I initially assumed that this is due to the formation of copper (II) oxide, but upon doing some research I found that reaction requires heat to catalyze it. Does anyone know if this is copper oxide, and if it is, how it could have formed?
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 28-11-2014 at 15:06

Watts, Henry (1872). A Dictionary of Chemistry and the Allied Branches of Other Sciences, Vol 2. Longmans, Green, and Co. (p 69).

Copper Hydroxide.jpg - 218kB
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 28-11-2014 at 16:33

All I had to do was check wikipedia, which says that moist copper(II) hydroxide slowly converts to the oxide in air. This is further aggravated by strongly basic starting solutions in my experience. Properly prepared and well-dried copper(II) hydroxide can withstand this reaction, but not when fresh and wet.

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 28-11-2014 at 17:18

Copper(II) Hydroxide is unstable in strongly alkaline conditions and oxygen. Heat also catalyzes the reaction as you stated.

If you want to avoid this problem I recomend vacuum filtering the Copper(II) Hydroxide. After vacuum filtering, add a volatile solvent to it, while still running vacuum. Acetone is the easiest to come by, ether is usually the best. One of the most simple yet effective methods of drying Copper(II) Hydroxide.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 28-11-2014 at 17:22

I could've sworn a document of woelen's stated Cu(OH)2 dehydrated, even in water. But I guess that would mean it would still be forming CuO.
Sorta spit-balling, sorry.

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 28-11-2014 at 17:26

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
All I had to do was check wikipedia

Aww, heck. You gave away my secret. That's how I found the reference.
Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
This is further aggravated by strongly basic starting solutions in my experience. Properly prepared and well-dried copper(II) hydroxide can withstand this reaction, but not when fresh and wet.

I've noticed the same thing. Copper hydroxide is easy to prepare when it is precipitated with a stoichiometric amount of sodium hydroxide. I filter and wash it on a Buchner funnel, and have no problem working with it while wet. It doesn't seem to decompose at all.

If however, too much sodium hydroxide is added; the precipitate turns dark green to black even as it stirs in the beaker. Heat will do the same thing.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 28-11-2014 at 18:27

It is quite easy to prepare if done right; Theoretically I believe the hydroxide solution should be dilute and should be poured into the copper salt solution, not the other way around. I then filter and squeeze the filter paper of any remaining water(since I don't have a vacuum filtration system) and put it in my food dehydrator, which operates at about 80 C. My product has always been a chalky blue powder, no sign of decomp.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 11:47

Copper(II) is amphoteric, maybe this has something to do with the easier dehydration in a more strongly basic solution?

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...

Go To Top