Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Ammonium perchlorate without DIY anodes?
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 08:18

I was going to start with Sodium chloride and run all the way to perchlorate:(
Power supply is 5 volt 40 amp.
Hopefully I can still get one or two out of a Pt anode.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 11:14

I found some MMO anodes that can support till 300-250 mA/cm2
The size of the annodes where 2"x6"..... they can support max 21-18A

Talking about 40A is madness for small anodes.
Safe side to be around 10A.

I am not expert but i started learning about chlorate/perchlorates
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 19:08

Alan yates has pictures on his site of a very small perchlorate cell and the power supply is over 50 amps. Registers 56 amp on his meter in the pic.
He says the major problem is boiling of the electrolyte solution and of course abuse of the electrodes but very fast conversion.

I was going to use a 6.5 volt power supply but was unable to find one online so I see how the 5 V 40 amp turns out.
I want to do a 1-1.5 L cell in which you can place the electrodes apart more to control the heat or a water bath.
Still undecided on the anode.

George Wald
nux vomica
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 22:30

This is my cell I used years ago its made from pvc plumbing fittings and has a capacity of 800mls the mmo anode is 5×7.5 cms and I ran it at 20 amps or 266ma per cm2.
Perchlorate is not so bad on your anode I found just dont try barium chlorate that's what damaged my cells anode
Nuxy

20150901_155948.jpg - 1MB 20150901_160022.jpg - 668kB
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 23:56

I read a lot about the anodes, for MMO :

Quote:

MMO (Mixed Metal Oxide (Trade Name: DSA (Dimensionally Stable Anode)), usually made from the Oxides of Noble Metals, Ru and Ir, on a Titanium (a Valve metal) substrate. Used by ALL Chlorate Industrial setup's nowadays. Not recommended to be used in electrolytes where the Chloride level has been let drop very low (30g/l absolute minimum), better to keep at or above 50g/l Chloride. They can be used at relatively high current densities, 300mA per square cm, around 200mA per square cm could be considered a working value. There are a range of MMO types on the market. In corrosion prevention applications they are used in very low Chloride concentrations at low current density. They are also used in swimming pool Chlorination systems.
MMO will not make Perchlorate AFAIK though some types (Pt Oxide based) may be capable of making Perchlorate.
MMO should not be operated at high temperatures. Pool Chlorination Anodes are mostly MMO Anodes though sometimes they are Pt metal based. Do not use Fluoride additive with MMO

I don't understand why MMO won't make perchlorate?!
nux vomica
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 00:30

Quote: Originally posted by ecos  
I read a lot about the anodes, for MMO :

Quote:

MMO (Mixed Metal Oxide (Trade Name: DSA (Dimensionally Stable Anode)), usually made from the Oxides of Noble Metals, Ru and Ir, on a Titanium (a Valve metal) substrate. Used by ALL Chlorate Industrial setup's nowadays. Not recommended to be used in electrolytes where the Chloride level has been let drop very low (30g/l absolute minimum), better to keep at or above 50g/l Chloride. They can be used at relatively high current densities, 300mA per square cm, around 200mA per square cm could be considered a working value. There are a range of MMO types on the market. In corrosion prevention applications they are used in very low Chloride concentrations at low current density. They are also used in swimming pool Chlorination systems.
MMO will not make Perchlorate AFAIK though some types (Pt Oxide based) may be capable of making Perchlorate.
MMO should not be operated at high temperatures. Pool Chlorination Anodes are mostly MMO Anodes though sometimes they are Pt metal based. Do not use Fluoride additive with MMO

I don't understand why MMO won't make perchlorate?!

You can its just harder on the anode than making chlorates I calculated when most of the sodium chlorate had been converted into sodium perchlorate then destroyed the leftover chlorate then added potassium chloride to form the potassium perchlorate nux.
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 01:17

@ Nux, I always thought you needed a Pt anode to make perchlorate.
How did you calculate when it was finished, using methylene blue?
Did you do a test on the final product to make sure it was Potassium perchlorate?

George Wald
nux vomica
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 01:55

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
@ Nux, I always thought you needed a Pt anode to make perchlorate.
How did you calculate when it was finished, using methylene blue?
Did you do a test on the final product to make sure it was Potassium perchlorate?

It was over 10 years ago but yes I used the methyline blue test and I think the amps had dropped a lot so it wasn't worth running the cell anymore , I used the matchbox test to see if there was chlorate left , put a small amount on the box striker and rub it across it like striking a match, perchlorate wont react, just dont burned your finger though:D
Its not as efficient as platinum but you can stil get perchlorate from a mmo anode.

Edit tried a little perchlorate solution with methyline blue purple precipitate straight away filter paper is wet so color not as good as dry paper .

[Edited on 1-9-2015 by nux vomica]

20150901_201819.jpg - 614kB
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 02:41

That's a good idea for a quick test using a matchbox as well as using the methylene blue.
I think I will still use the platinum coated anode with titanium cathode and see how long they actually last.

How big was the cell you used and how long did it take to go all the way to perchlorate?
Also how many volts was the cell?

Cheers

[Edited on 1-9-2015 by greenlight]

George Wald
nux vomica
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 03:20

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
That's a good idea for a quick test using a matchbox as well as using the methylene blue.
I think I will still use the platinum coated anode with titanium cathode and see how long they actually last.

How big was the cell you used and how long did it take to go all the way to perchlorate?
Also how many volts was the cell?

Cheers

5 volt and 800mls cannot remember exactly but I think it was over 5 days run time , I bought a piece of mmo 300×300 so I wasnt worried about damaging the anode but yes platinum would be better nux.
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 03:53

I would like to buy the anode for my tests.

i found this link for MMO anode(Iridium/Ruthenium Oxide ) and Titanium cathode : http://store.theamateurchemist.com/mmo-solid-plate-anode-tit...

they write in the description :
Quote:

These are great for a variety of uses: all kinds of electrolysis, chlorinators, chlorate and perchlorate cells, ionizers, precious metals plating, etc.. These are quality electrodes and will last for a long time if they aren't damaged (eg - send too much current through them). The max anode current density for mmo is around 250 - 300 mA/cm^2

do you think the plates are a good option or they would corrode easily ?
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 04:13

Thanks Nux, and Ecos what are you trying to make with the electrodes you linked?
I have brought the same electrodes from the page you linked twice for a chlorate cell one time being for spares.
They work very well, I have done a few batches of Potassium chlorate with them and they show no signs of wear at all.
I'm going to try his platinum coated electrode in my perchlorate cell.
You can also get them with Titanium strips welded on as an extra option if needed, my latest ones are in the pic below.

[Edited on 1-9-2015 by greenlight]

20150901_200718.jpg - 3.3MB

George Wald
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 04:19

Yes, I am planning to ask for Titanium strips to be welded.

I am planning for KClO4, do you think the would be efficient or should i stick to Pt ? they state in the Quote above they can be used for both chlorate and perchlorate cells.
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 04:23

I think it would take a lot longer using MMO as the anode, and would probably end up wearing it out fast as well.
The best anode material is pure platinum or lead dioxide but they are both expensive.
If your only trying to make Potassium perchlorate personally i would go the platinum coated but it's up to you. Nux got KCl04 with MMO anode as stated above.
I am about to put the order through for a couple of his platinum coated electrodes now, only thing I'm worried about is excessive wear:(

George Wald
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 04:40

Hang on, the Platinum coated electrode from the Ecos linked only has a Pt coating 1 micrometer thick.
This one from ebay would probably be better if buying a Pt coated electrode as it is 2.5 micrometers thick:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLATINIZED-TITANIUM-ANODE-PLATING-AN...

George Wald
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 06:21

thanks Greenlight for the info.

2.5 um is better than 1u and the price is just $6 difference !

I will buy it. but what should i do for the cathode, should i buy SS or titanium electrode?
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 07:07

Yes, it seems like the better option.
As for the cathode, I am going to buy one of the single Titanium electrodes from the site you linked before as they are quite cheap but either option is okay to use as far as I know.

George Wald
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 08:34

Has the use of semiconducting materials such as doped silicon carbide been investigated for suitability in electrodes ?
Perovskite electrode cells have also been investigated , lightly discussed in this brief _
Anodes for Electrochemical Processes
www.isca.in/rjcs/Archives/vol3/i6/From%20Editorial%20Desk.pd...
I mentioned this once before and damn2 thought the resistance would be too high and therefore exhibit poor efficiency.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8592&a...