Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wet or dry IPA for MeNH2.HCl etxtraction
FriendlyFinger
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2006 at 00:07
Wet or dry IPA for MeNH2.HCl etxtraction

Can someone please explain how you can get MeNH2.HCl relatively free of HN4CL using wet IPA.

In those synths where people don't remove any NH4CL and proceed with removal of water until a "slush" remains, they crash out most of the NH4Cl then distill out some of the IPA and extract again. But surley there will still be water in there, so are they getting a lot of NH4Cl in the end product?

I know it doesn't matter if it's used in the AL/Hg , but I'd like to know how much MeHN2.HCl is actually there. I'm asking because drying IPA with CaO is a huge pain and not very economical when you concider time and CaO, but I don't like wasting chemicals.

I also know you don't have to recrystalise MeNH2.HCl if you filter out the NH4Cl at the right time, but is doesn't always work out that way with the quality of formalin that I have access to.

So, how does crashing out the slush work? does IPA prefer to take up MeNH2.HCl before NH4Cl? Surley at the end you have to get rid of all that water and use dry IPA , no? Otherwise how do you know how much MeNH2.HCl you actually have?

Kind regards,l
FF
Baalchemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 00:46

Baalchemist used 99%IPA to extract out the MeAm from the 'mush' when performing a similar reaction. The mush was distilled as dry as possible first under vac.

Godisnowhere
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 03:15

Quote:

does IPA prefer to take up MeNH2.HCl before NH4Cl?
Sure. All alcohols do this and IPA more then EtOH for example. Dry hot IPA is preferred but an old textbook stated that also an extraction with 95% EtOh yields methylamine of good purity, somewhat around 97% IIRC for sure something whats absolutely ok for reductive aminations.

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 04:08

.......I also know you don't have to recrystalise MeNH2.HCl if you filter out the NH4Cl at the right time, .........

This is true for the first crop if 2 crops of NH3HCl are taken first as in Vogels procedure. The other 2 crops don't look near as good.

IPA forms a 12% azeotrope with water so it can be used to dry the crystals or solution by distilling or in the vacuum dessicator (filter flask). This makes bone dry
beautiful fluffy crystals (plates)
Madandcrazy
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 08:51

What is the MeNH2.HCl, surely a chlorin salt of the Methanolamin ?

You mean methanolamin
HOCH2NH2 , can it gotten by NH4Cl and MeOH ?
Maybe the chloroamin is the better way, or with a reaction with nitromethane.

Go To Top