Printable Version  
Author: Subject: More Efficiently Making Alcohol with Trichonympha
farmisist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2006 at 12:27
More Efficiently Making Alcohol with Trichonympha

Hello,
This is my first post, so hopefully I don’t sound to stupid. Currently I’m attempting to make some good old moonshine via fermentation. Since the yeast only work with the sugars in fruit, or what ever I’m using, I was wondering if Trichonympha could be used to break down cellulose, found in the fruit, into sugar that could in turn be used to make more alcohol per unit mass of fruit.
Thanks

Can\'t have fun without fire
\"Freuer Frei\"
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-2-2006 at 12:51

Quote:
Originally posted by farmisist
Hello,
This is my first post, so hopefully I don’t sound to stupid. Currently I’m attempting to make some good old moonshine via fermentation. Since the yeast only work with the sugars in fruit, or what ever I’m using, I was wondering if Trichonympha could be used to break down cellulose, found in the fruit, into sugar that could in turn be used to make more alcohol per unit mass of fruit.
Thanks

Trichonympha contains a bacterium that enzymatically converts wood cellulose to carbohydrates but I'm not sure of its effect on fruit. Now convincing the termites to puke might be something to see! :D

Joe
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 25-2-2006 at 14:49

Quote:
Originally posted by joeflsts
Trichonympha contains a bacterium that enzymatically converts wood cellulose to carbohydrates but I'm not sure of its effect on fruit. Now convincing the termites to puke might be something to see! :D

A mortar and pestle can no doubt make them give it up, one way or the other. :o:P

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
farmisist
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-2-2006 at 16:29

In Biology Lab we were able to extract the enzyme by slitting the underside of the termite, so I had figured that I would do that or buy some of the bacteria online. From my understanding, cellulose is just a long chain of beta glucose molecules. So shouldn't a bacterium that breaks down wood cellulose also be able to do the same to other forms of cellulose? Aka fruits. What I don't know is if beta glucose vs. alpha glucose matter when it comes to fermentation.

Can\'t have fun without fire
\"Freuer Frei\"

Go To Top