Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dimethylsulfone decarboxylation of amino acid
fardoubt
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 10:00
Dimethylsulfone decarboxylation of amino acid

I've been searching for a suitably high boiling solvent for an amino acid decarboxylation for some time now. I ran across a pet supplement that has a sufficiently high boiling point. It is comprised of near pure dimethylsulfone. Might this be an acceptable alternative for a nonpolar solvent, such as napthalene or diphenylmethane? Or is the nonpolar nature and presence of phenyls on these other solvents the precise trait that makes them suitable for this sort of application with aminos such as tyrosine?

-FarDoubt
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 16:22

Did you google and miss this?......solo

Excerp....Decarboxylation in Diphenyl Ether1 DL-Tryptophan (1.0 g) and diphenyl ether (50 ml) were heated at reflux for 1 hour in an atmosphere of nitrogen. The mixture was cooled and extracted with 2N aqueous hydrochloric acid (3x40ml). This extract was washed with ether, basified (6N NaOH), and extracted with ether (5x50ml). This extract was washed with water and brine, dried over sodium sulfate, and the solvent removed in vacuo, leaving a residue which was recrystallized from benzene to give pale yellow prisms (530mg), mp 113-114°C. Sublimation afforded a colorless crystalline solid (450mg, 57%), mp 114-115°C.

The use of freshly distilled tetralin as the solvent for decarboxylation led to a yield of only 36%. With commercial tetralin the yield was reduced to 20%. No tryptamine was isolated from experiments which employed diphenylamine or dimethylsulfoxide in place of diphenyl ether.

.................source,

http://designer-drugs.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/t...

[Edited on 3-5-2006 by solo]

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
fardoubt
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 17:07

I actually have perused that very source and found that most of the successful decarboxylations dealt with non-OTC solvents. That source indeed states that dimethylsulfoxide (BP=196 C) does not work in the reaction. Dimethylsulfone has a sulfonyl rather than one double bonded oxygen. Its boiling point is 236 C, about 40 degrees higher than that of DMSO. Since this is a thermal decarboxylation, is there any rational in giving this a try because of this higher boiling point?

I've also uncoverd a source for biphenyl (BP=255 C) which seems to me to be a great possibility for this experiment, although I have found no references with regard to it in any literature.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 03:22

Have you looked at the thermal decarboxylation thread regarding decarboxylation using Iron......................solo

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3459

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.

Go To Top