Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting Started?
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2014 at 12:21
Getting Started?

I've been mainly working in inorganic chemistry, but lately organic chemistry has been of some interest to me. This may be the wrong subforum, but what are some basic reactions that I could do with household materials to get started with organic chemistry>
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 27-12-2014 at 12:33

I'm the least qualified person to answer here, but you could try making oil of wintergreen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTLnNWQhSMI

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
27-12-2014 at 13:10
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2014 at 13:29

as far as Home ingredients go I suppose extracting oleic acid from olive oil via soap. This is a mixture of inorganic and organic, the oleic acid being the organic part. Just a suggestion.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 27-12-2014 at 13:38

Well, you could go on a hunt to get a lot of Organic reagents. This way you could practise some seperation methods. You could get Acetone from nail polish remover, Toluene from paint thinner, Ethanol from vodka (or other sources), and a lot more.

Check youtube channels that aproach this subject. Many can give you awsome ideas. Some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFhXFikryT4aFcLkLw2LBLA
https://www.youtube.com/user/UC235?feature=watch
https://www.youtube.com/user/Hegelrast/videos

And remember to read and study Organic Chemistry. Seriously, the more you learn the better.

subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 27-12-2014 at 13:40

Here are some other ideas:

Chlorobutanol, benzocaine, and hydrolysis of ethyl acetate are some that come to mind. All of these can be found easily online.

Also, while purification of your reagents (organic solvents, etc) doesn't necessarily explore chemistry (as making new molecules), it does allow you to get used to working with your glassware. It may sound simple to "remove the solid product from the RBF," but often times, things are easier said than done. It's better to make mistakes with an OTC material than with a product that you have a limited amount of.

This might be more relevant: Check the SM library for Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry. It's highly recommended, and you can find experiments that you can do with your reagents. You'll still need to buy some materials, but it's usually better to have more than less in terms of reagents.

Best of luck, and ventilate your work area well!

PS: What sort of glassware do you have? A basic distillation set is handy.

[Edited on 27-12-2014 by Awesomeness]

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-12-2014 at 15:38

Quote: Originally posted by Awesomeness  
Here are some other ideas:

Chlorobutanol, benzocaine, and hydrolysis of ethyl acetate are some that come to mind. All of these can be found easily online.

Also, while purification of your reagents (organic solvents, etc) doesn't necessarily explore chemistry (as making new molecules), it does allow you to get used to working with your glassware. It may sound simple to "remove the solid product from the RBF," but often times, things are easier said than done. It's better to make mistakes with an OTC material than with a product that you have a limited amount of.

This might be more relevant: Check the SM library for Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry. It's highly recommended, and you can find experiments that you can do with your reagents. You'll still need to buy some materials, but it's usually better to have more than less in terms of reagents.

Best of luck, and ventilate your work area well!

PS: What sort of glassware do you have? A basic distillation set is handy.

[Edited on 27-12-2014 by Awesomeness]

Currently just a few beakers, since I've mainly been working with solids. I'm hoping to get some new equipment soon, though!
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 27-12-2014 at 15:46

a lot of organic chem requires reflux conditions. I would save up and visit one of the chinese glassware suppliers discussed on SM and pick up an organic chem kit. you can then do distillation and solvent extraction and reflux. I think you will find orgchem really rewarding if you have a bit of glassware, rather than trying and being put off working in buckets, I mean beakers.

great suggestion to find a few solvents. there are quite a few OTC in hardware stores. and also you will need to find some good airtight sample tubes to store your products (cheap china again-few cents each). often they are volatile or decompose readily.

Go To Top