Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The problem with all these books is..
Rapunzel
Harmless

Mood: Outraged!

[*] posted on 31-5-2006 at 23:24
The problem with all these books is..

The problem with all these chemistry beginners books is that while they most state you don't need previous knowledge, rarely do any explain things to somebody who's never taken chemistry classes. The ones that do are usually too basic.

The other, more major problem IMO is that science is not something you can learn just from reading, and most books don't have any hands-on work. The books usually begin with 5-10 chapters on history / theory and math. Things that people will not remember just by reading. A small, even the slightest experiment about each concept would make a world of a difference.

For example, I am a total chemistry newb but my interest before this field was mainly in computer science. When I began studying CS, I found it very hard to remember things in books until I started doing experiments on my own. I did this very early on, usually before reading many books. Later on, after reading something, I would say "oh! so that's why so and so didn't work' or "ah, that's how I can add that feature to X."

I was able to do experiments very early on with CS because programming books usually give you hands on work, and everything is readily available (a compiler, linker, editor etc) due to the nature of software. When it comes to chemistry books, the beggining is such a motivation killer because I do nothing but read about theories and do math problems. I understand that this is necessary but I have no idea when I will be able to do anything hands on. It kills my motivation greatly, and it's the reason most people I know are not into chemistry, except for the ones who had chem kits when they were young.

People who start off with a chem kit are more likely to continue studying chemistry. If I wasn't able to make anything on the computer, then I would never have stayed with CS. I was able to make something and understand and improve upon it once I learned more. This was motivation to keep going, and I used it as sort of a rating or where I stood.

Is there any book available online that teaches you everything you need to know to start getting your hands dirty ASAP? I know considerable knowledge is required for chem, so you don't hurt yourself, and so on, but mixing things and seeing a reaction would be enough to help me keep going and try to understand what is happening and why.

A simple list or step by step guide of increasing more difficult experiments with readily available elements/compounds, and then explains what's going on and why would be more beneficial than most books.

Is there such a thing? I have a huge interest in chemistry but I've never taken any class, and will not be able to for a long time.

\"Overcome with grief, the prince threw himself from the tower. His fall was broken by some brambles, but they also scratched and blinded him.\"
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 00:28

"The problem with all these chemistry beginners books is that while they most state you don't need previous knowledge, rarely do any explain things to somebody who's never taken chemistry classes"

The little "Penguin Dictionary of Science" book is great to have at hand to look up words and statements which you don't understand. It sounds like a childrens book from the title but it has so many general science definitions in it. It is really good if you are reading a more complicated book and you come across a term you don't understand. I found it a great help when revising. There is a chemistry one as well which is supposed to be good, but the general science one is best for general terms. They are cheap too so you could get both.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 04:34

Try to look through this book it may help........solo

http://rapidshare.de/files/21928862/The_Golden_Book_of_Chemi...

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 04:43

You will find practical aproach from books that contain word "practical" or "synthesis" in title. Older books are usally more descriptive and less theoretical than modern books. Better, in fact, if you love practical approach. Even 100 years may be not too old - its a point where chemistry is not like CS.

If you will open some practical chemistry book with lots of experiments in it you will immediately meet another problem: where to get chemicals and glassware? This can be solved but searching for sources takes lot of time and energy. And i know no book that has mostly experiments that can be done with common things and substances.

There are some great web sites that contain lot of handy experiments. For example woelen site:
http://www.oelen.net/science

I suppose that best you can do is to search these forums and internet for chemistry experiments and look what are those you can make by yourself. In fact this is what most of us do.
andresderis
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 07:52

if you aren't a chemistry student , youre fucked up , o maybe get a friend who can explain u in a didactic way how understand basic chem

Go To Top