Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bromination
enkay
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 7-6-2006 at 05:33
Bromination

Hi !

I'm trying Bromination of 4-Phenyl Butyric acid to get 2(alpha)-Bromo-4-Phenylbutyric acid.

Is this synthesis possible using Bromine liq. & 4-Phenylbutyric acid with any procedure ?

Awaiting your replies !

Thanks in advance,
Enkay
enkay
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:07

Again, one more question to my above posting......;)

Is this bromination possible using any bromine containing reagents instead of hazardous bromine liq. ? :o
=SkyNET=
Hazard to Self

Mood: Randy baby :P

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:47

I think NH4Br+H2O2 would do it.

Bromine isn't really too hazardous. It's easy to handle and you can't really get hurt if you kow what your doing.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:54

Your question can only be answered by searching Beilstein or SciFinder. The only other way is to experimentally find the conditions for a Hell-Volhard-Zelinsky reaction that would leave the phenyl ring un-brominated. Since the usual reaction conditions are not so harsh I would say it is possible. Anyway, for details you should search literature references instead of asking in a forum.

Edit: SkyNet, he is not asking about brominating the aromatic ring. Anyway, even if he would, not even Br2 would be good enough without a Lewis acid so you can be sure NH4Br + H2O2 would not do it.

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
=SkyNET=
Hazard to Self

Mood: Randy baby :P

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:59

D'oh

Thanks

Go To Top