Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A first step towards the staircase..
quitmethingaroundwithacid
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 02:48
A first step towards the staircase..

Hey there! :)

So upon my discovery of this forums list, I had to make an account to ask a couple questions!

How/what would you recommend someone to begin their pursuit in the joys of chemistry?

I'm just starting my high school course in chemistry after dropping business(+1 moral bonus), and if anyone has any advice how I could expand both my mind and range of hobbies, I'd really appreciate your experience!

And of course,

Are there any safety precautions, tips, anything I should *really* never do/don't/yank out suddenly that might not be too obvious at first?
Researching all chemicals beforehand's a given!
Thanks so much! hope I can become part of this community in no time!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 03:52

Ask a specific question and get a specific answer.

I suggest you lurk and read lots. You will find out which parts of the vastness of chemistry interest you. You can then research and embark on simple projects that appeal to you.

Most importantly, to do things safely, proceed slowly. Do not attempt any experimentation without having researched and having a good idea of what is going to happen. You need to master some basic theory to make sense of things and unfortunately there are no shortcuts.
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 09:01

Are you learning from home or is this at your school?
The best step is to read you high school chemistry book until you have a good understanding of the basics.
The worst thing you could do is randomly mix chemicals until somthing happens:D

Electrolysis of water is a good place to start.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 09:01

I'm not sure you know this, but you created a duplicate of this thread. That's called double posting, and is discouraged.

Step 1: Read the forum guidelines.
Step 2: Use the short questions thread; it will be helpful for you.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

If the links show an SSL error, it's because this site uses a self-signed certificate, and you need to add an exception.

[Edited on 11-1-2015 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 09:20

The double post is taken care of.

The sticky right at the top of beginnings is a good thing to look at-

Great online texts for beginners and the curious!

Then, there's a whole library of text books available here:

The sciencemadness.org library

And a FAQ about posting you really need to read so any threads you start go where (and how!) they should-

Posting on topics

And a Very Important Announcement from the Department of Health and Human Services!!!

Posting- And You...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 12:27
Know how steeply you want to climb

Intermediate between normal stairs and a ladder for a steep rise.

Staggered Stairs.jpg - 10kB
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 23:34

@Bert ...And a Very Important Announcement from the Department of Health and Human Services!!!....
I notice they targeted steam....nicely presented. Though I would like to add one tip to all this : S E A R C H I N G. Yes, you know its there, you put it there, you even know what year....and still it pretends not to be there,,,it's afraid, very afraid to be found. So the best method to search for stuff in this forum is by typing the following directly into google, EXACTLY as written here:
"sciencemadness" and "molecule" if you know the year and want to narrow it down, then add: and "1944". You'll be guaranteed of a thousand hits.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 09:41

You might want to spend some time around here: http://www.reddit.com/r/homechemistry/

Go To Top