Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What exactly should you look for in a hot plate?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 22:59

Congrats on the score!!!

Yes you do need to use a larger power supply. It comes down to current draw. Let's say you set the plate to 1/4 power. Depending on the circuitry it can still draw full power to get up to temp, and then level off.
That all depends on how it is wired.

I would go to 1 1500 watt supply to have a long life, and steady current with little to no overheating of the supply.

Enjoy it!

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
radiance88
Hazard to Self

Mood: a little less evil than usual

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 00:47

Dang. If I really do need to buy a bigger power supply, that alone is going to cost me almost as much as the plate itself.

This chemistry hobby sure isn't cheap. :(
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 02:36

I'm finding the same... I'll have to experiment on dirt for awhile.

Let me ask you this... I was under the impression that for UK power all you needed was a step down transformer for the wall outlet. I also thought they were small little cheepo things.

WOW never mind. I just looked them up on Amazon... 66.00 Eu.
Still 200.00 ish into a stirrer / hot plate is about right. Plus you didn't cheep out on China junk that will melt in a week.

41gMqdV21eL._AA160_.jpg - 4kB

Zom.
radiance88
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 07:45

My secondhand hotplate finally arrived. She's a little bit banged up, but she purrs like a kitten, heating and stirring both work great.

Anyone know what would make a good substitute for a stir bar? I don't have any yet, and ordering stuff off of Ebay is going to take a month at least..
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 10:48

I think you got a steal on that Corning hotplate. I have a Corning (PC-320 I think) and have had nothing but good service from it for over 10 years.

I'd use that 750w power supply and limit my hotplate to 75% of full power. I rarely need full power.

Encapsulate an iron nail in some polyethylene tubing and heat seal the ends. This should suffice for most stir bar applications until you can buy some proper ptfe coated ones.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
radiance88
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 11:53

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. After unpacking my hotplate from the bubble-wrap (all the while feeling like a little kid on Christmas), I sat around eying it and saying "it's a shame I can't run it yet because my power-supply isn't big enough".

After some goading from my dad who said "don't worry it'll work fine - it only draws up to the rated wattage if you turn the heat dial on full-blast", we fired her up. Turns out he was right, and that there wasn't anything really to worry about as long as I kept the power draw low.

I spent the whole evening just looking for magnetic things to throw in my glass pot to see if it would stir it, and gleefully watching the whirlpools form when I found an object that actually worked a bit. The best by far that I experimented with were the neodymium magnets that I pulled from some old hard drives I found lying around.

It's funny to see myself drawing such pleasure from such simple things. But it makes me excited to know that now I have the cornerstone of my lab down, and that things can only go up from here. Soon enough after acquiring some decent glassware, I'll be able to do the interesting experiments that I will have only read or seen videos about up till then.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 11:59

Nice going. Be aware that those Nd magnets will de-magnetise at temperatures above their curie point.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chlorine Trifloride Flame Thrower

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 15:17

Don't buy from HST. When it comes to HT there's sucks. I had one for a month before it broke so I got a second and it to broke.

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 15:54

Quote: Originally posted by SimpleChemist-238  
Don't buy from HST. When it comes to HT there's sucks. I had one for a month before it broke so I got a second and it to broke.

What are "HST", and "HT" ?

Glad to hear your pleased w/ your hot plate Radiance. Keep an eye on your power supply temp., and hopefully it will work out for you.

[Edited on 11-2-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top