Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: want transparent container for molten NaOH
UncleJoe1985
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 22:27
want transparent container for molten NaOH

I'd like to give making sodium metal from NaOH electrolysis a shot.

Obviously, a regular glass container is out of the question, so I'm planning on using porcelain. But being able to see the process is as desirable as making mushroom clouds ;)

What if I coat part of the inner glass? Are there any films that can withstand molten NaOH? I thought about PTFE, but that doesn't sound very feasible since it melts at 326.8°C, while NaOH melts at 318C. Plus, I don't even know if Teflon will stick to glass when melted.

Any other suggestions?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 23:27

Pretty sure porcelain isn't an option anyway. Neither is PTFE, NaOH will eat that as well. Usually these cells are constructed from nickel or iron (read the sodium thread). The best you're going to be able to do is put a window in the top of the cell and even then it's going to likely cloud up on you before long.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 11:00

Maybe fused silica - though fused NaOH will attack it.
Bear in mind that alumina crucibles would be much better than fused silica ones, but they are opaque (non-transparent). The fused silica crucible should survive long enough.

[Edited on 18-1-2015 by DrMario]
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 12:22

What about beryllia? Alumina and silica will react; I don't think beryllia will, or if it does, it will be much slower. That being said, beryllia crucibles are not exactly cheap, and may not be sufficiently transparent.

Magnesia might also work, and it is probably cheaper.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
UncleJoe1985
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 16:44

Thanks everyone for the comments and references. My goal is to make a cell that doesn't corroded quickly nor make chocolate pudding like this guy. I'm really impressed by len1's design (hats off to him), but I want something smaller, and maybe simpler. It said it took 2 hours to go from 20 - 360 degrees for 1.5 Kg electrolyte and a 500W hotplate, which seems excessive. Theoretically, it ought to take only 26 minutes. I think by not using a metal container and putting the nichrome heating element in the electrolyte itself will make it more efficient.

Quote:
Pretty sure porcelain isn't an option anyway

Oh right, because porcelain has glass in it! Also, this guy says molten NaOH will attack the glaze on porcelain slowly.

Quote:

Magnesia might also work, and it is probably cheaper.

That looks promising (garage chemist from len1's thread also said it won't be attacked). I'd like to try powder coating glass with it.

Quote:
Maybe fused silica

I don't want to try this unless the etching is 100x slower than for regular glass.

I am curious why the removal of soda causes it to be more resistant? Is it because NaOH, Na2O, and CaO are ionic molocues and likes dissolve likes?
UncleJoe1985
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 04:11
Alternative electrolytic methods for producing sodium metal?

After lots of studying of the home-scale friendly method of sodium production by NaOH electrolysis, it seems a bit difficult due to the corrosion and need for temperature/process control to prevent contamination or dissolution of the produced metal. After all, I want to produce sodium, not chocolate pudding...

It doesn't seem high temperature reduction (e.g. Na2CO3 + 2 C → 2 Na + 3 CO) is easy or inexpensive, so are there other electrolytic methods? I thinking of,

1. solvent that can dissolve NaCl or other similar salt without reacting with Na?
It's clear ethanol and methanol will react. According to Wikipedia, NaCl can dissolve in acetone but with a solubility almost 1/1000000 that of water. Is it possible to bring to bear high voltage and some high temperature to make it work?

Or can it be proven that no such solvent exists? (e.g. NaCl will only dissolve in polar substances, but polar substances easily ionize, which will react with Na?)

2. Electrolysis of molten NaCl or other salts?
Has anyone tried this and know how feasible it is? Will nichrome wire be sufficient to melt it? Are there decomposition or dissolution issues like with the NaOH process?

I'm also thinking about salts with lower melting points. Sodium bromide melts a bit easier and more so with sodium iodide. Can anyone hook me up with some sodium. Anyone can hook me up with some sodium astatide ;)

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 06:26

DO some research:

1) Propylene carbonate

2) Downs cell

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
19-1-2015 at 16:25
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
19-1-2015 at 16:26
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 21:05

Propanone dissolves NaI and KI. Perhaps you can try to electrolyse this but I have a feeling that it won't work. I'm sure that Na or K will react with the carbonyl group.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 22:15

Check out this thread, all about electrolysis in a non reactive solvent, mostly propylene carbonate.
I can sell you some sodium bromide, no iodide though. See the link in my signature.
Sodium reduction with carbon is only useful at about 1200 deg. C and under strong vacuum, if you can manage that, it may be possible, but yields will suck even in the best of conditions.
There's quite a lot of information on electrolysis of fused sodium chloride on this site and many others, some people here have tried it IIRC.
Magnesium can reduce sodium hydroxide easily, so can aluminum.
Under high vacuum at 600 deg. C magnesium can even reduce sodium chloride, but yield will not be great. Aluminum won't work for this.

UncleJoe1985
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 02:23

Quote:
Downs cell

I can't find anyone else's experience on this on this site, so that's why I asked. I'm worried that the higher temperatures involved will make contamination even a bigger problem than for the NaOH process.

Quote:
Propylene carbonate

Incredible! so such a solvent does exist.

Zyklon: How did your experiment with PC go? You kind of trailed off after 4/2014. I just read the 1975 article by Jorne and Tobias. I understand your logic for using NaClO3, since that's much more soluble than NaCl (at least in water) and easier to get than NaClO4. But if it can break down (in solution) and release O2, then that would be bad.
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 03:14

Sodium (being a rather good reductant) would probably reduce chlorate (being a rather good oxidant) if such a cell ever produces sodium at the cathode in the first place :o

[Edited on 20-1-2015 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 06:47

Yeah, if sodium chloride is even a little soluble (like 2 grams/100mL) I would use that as it is more likely to work with oxidizing it again.
My PC never came, I got scammed. I was planning to buy some more, but since then I've gotten a good vacuum pump and have welded a setup to distill sodium from NaCl and Ca or Mg. I was going to do it over Christmas break, but I had a lab accident that redered both hands unmovable for a week or so, then I sprained an ankle and still can't walk so I just haven't been able to try it yet.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 07:37

"Solar Salt", see wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutectic_system

Looks viable if you can cope with the NOx.

deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 08:06

Ouch ZB! Hope it get's better soon.

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 09:42

Another idea utilizing an eutectic salt mixture is KAlCl4.
It has a very low melting point (I think around 300°C). It's hard to make and it's not stable in air, due to the aluminum chloride being a mostly covalent compound, which reacts with water.
It's covalent properties are what makes it useful for electrolysis as it lowers KCl's MP but doesn't decompose with electrolysis.
It seems to me that potassium would react with aluminum chloride though, but I haven't heard or seen it do that.

Quote:

Ouch ZB! Hope it get's better soon.

I should be able to walk in a week or so, my hands are fine and all the stitches are out.

[Edited on 20-1-2015 by Zyklon-A]

UncleJoe1985
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 13:20

Quote:
I had a lab accident...

You sound pretty hard core. What energetic material were you playing with? TNT? NH4NO3?, nano thermite? Any lessons to share?

Scamed by a chemical seller? I find that pretty hard to believe because I doubt a crook who probably dropped out of high school would know much about chemistry. Did you order from a reputable company or did you order some surplus from a Chinese company that was watered down (I wouldn't mind 5% impurity since the 99% reagent grade stuff is way more expensive)?

Do you know how I can make KAlCl4 or buy it?

It seems AlCl3 would be a precursor, which even has a lower melting point of 192c, but wouldn't be suitable for Na production since Al has a lower electrode potential?

Quote:
Solar Salt

That seems almost as undesirable as using molten NaClO3 since it decomposes to release O2, oxidizing the sodium.

[Edited on 20-1-2015 by UncleJoe1985]
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 13:49

Buying is hardly an option, it's very expensive. It can be made from fusing KCl and AlCl3 at 700°C.
AlCl3 boils before it melts, so it's not easy to do, high pressure is required. It can be made by reacting aluminum with chlorine or hydrogen chloride anhydrous.

Quote:

but wouldn't be suitable for Na production since Al has a lower electrode potential?

That's what I'm not sure of, like I said, it's covalent, and doesn't decompose by electrolysis, but seems like sodium, or potassium would reduce if after they're isolated, but since I've never confirmed this, and I have heard it does work, I'm going to assume it does.

Quote:

What energetic material were you playing with?

I don't screw with energetic materials anymore, although I've never had an accident with them. It was just a flammable gas mixed with oxygen, wasn't supposed to ignite, but somehow it did. The biggest loss was the flask and the 5 or so beakers/flasks next to it, and a GoPro case, good thing it was in the case...

Quote:

Scamed by a chemical seller?
Perhaps not scammed, but the money left my account, and the product never came, maybe a mistake.

[Edited on 20-1-2015 by Zyklon-A]

Go To Top