Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Give me some suggestions please.
ISCGora
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 11:41
Give me some suggestions please.

Okay,so I have a big problem with my parents about doing chemistry...

For example I was making potassium chlorate with bleach when they saw that bottle they started talking about thing that happened to other people.How that is not allowed and they give me ton of stupid stories where some idiot did something stupid with chemical and got burned or did something stupid...

When I wanted to use methanol like a solvent for extracting vanilin they said no you can get killed that is not allowed..

Also they ask me to explain them the reaction before I do a experiment when they see a WARNING sign or DANGEROUS it is like you are not allowed to do the experiment.

I am using nitrile gloves proper clothing and I am not doing any reactions with out knowing what might go wrong what should happened and how to protect me and my work space..

And I use proper lab equipment for any experiment or synthesis I do.

PS:I have pretty good relationship with them normally when chemistry is not the theme.

Thank you all:)
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 13:22

Sounds like my parents a few years ago.

What kind of background in science do they have? You might be able to reason with them (that's what I did, and it worked OK). I had to explain every tiny thing that I was doing, and convince them that it was safe.

You'll have to live with some restrictions as long as you don't own your own house.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
ISCGora
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 13:30

Well yeh it is kind annoying my dad is electro technician and my mom is physicist but they really have strong thinking on their opinions.

But thank you anyways in couple years I might get a house ;)
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 13:40

As always with People, it's a Sales Pitch.

Basically you need to Sell them on the idea.

First, think of their objections. If they will discuss it, they will tell you their objections, making it easier.

Next, think of way to eliminate those objections (e.g. It Smells. I will do that Outside)

If you are thorough enough, eventually they will have No objections that you have not an answer for.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 13:41

If you have good, legitimate sources for experimentation, or get a small chemistry kit (even a little-kid one), they'll gain confidence in your judgement. It will also help if you're honest with them outside of chemistry, and show them you're not trying to make things explode.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 15:25

I would also make a point of not trying to prove to them that they're being unfair. They want to see that you're taking their warnings and concerns seriously, so that's what you need to do. You should try to reason with them on why a certain reaction is okay to perform despite possible consequences if something goes wrong but you can't be a smartass abound it.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 14:27

I wouldn't word it as 'unfair', in a conversation. The most reasonable, least offensive path works best in this case. My parents wouldn't let me buy any acids till I was 14, and for good reasons! At the time it seemed restrictive and chemofobic, but it doesn't now. So take it all in the big picture.

vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 18-3-2015 at 09:10

Quote: Originally posted by ISCGora  
Well yeh it is kind annoying my dad is electro technician and my mom is physicist but they really have strong thinking on their opinions.

But thank you anyways in couple years I might get a house ;)

Lucky you. My parents had more ordinary jobs and they didn't put restrictions on me, however, it was the 1990s and I was limited in what I could do.
I have done some things that I regret now like experimenting with mercury and lead. I didn't have a large exposure but I was not playing it safe. I also had large chemistry set. Today's chemistry sets look dinky.

Your parents simply don't want to take you to the hospital. The reality is that you are going to get some minor injuries like cuts and some burns. I would conform since it is likely better for your safety. Explain to them what you will do and they can supervise.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 10:50

How did early scientists/alchemists who discovered the most basic things prevent and shield themselves from the black birth of discovery?

Discoveries come as a surprise
Read
expecting and understanding what could go wrong/right will make you more prepared.
Wear safety goggles

The name of the game with discovery is trying to predict what can go wrong, and being wise about it.

The question is, what do we do to make ourselves precatious and able to predict what is unknown

Start with knowns and work from there?
Someone could ask how do you know sand and water will not explode

How would you calm their fears? Assuming it did, a pinch wouldn't hurt. If the pinch doesn't explode, it'd be safe to assume that the pound would not neither.

Try to read about things so they don't surprise you
when your ready to make discoveries be able to handle the surprise

[Edited on 19-3-2015 by Yttrium2]

[Edited on 19-3-2015 by Yttrium2]

Go To Top