Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: easy separation of 4-(dimethylamino)benzaldehyde from benzaldehyde
Maddr33
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 16-3-2015 at 00:59
easy separation of 4-(dimethylamino)benzaldehyde from benzaldehyde

I really just want to use separatory funnel.
but I can't figure out what would go into the aqueous levels..
Solvents: acetone, ethanol, methanol, ethyl acetate, hexanes, dichloromethane
Aqueous solutions: 1M NaOH, 1M HCl, 3M NaOH, 3M HCl, 1 M NaHCO3, saturated NaCl
Drying Agent: sodium sulfate
I have to test for purity too. of 4-(dimethylamino)benzaldehyde
madscientist
National Hazard
Thread Moved
16-3-2015 at 05:20
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 13:29

Learn how to evaluate pKa's. That alone will likely solve the last two posts you've made. Basic qualitative purity testing is also available in most texts/lab books.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 14:09

@ Maddr33 Your posts are starting to appear as though we are answering your homework question. True?
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 16:01

I am actually sort of curious how to use pKa's to solve this. I am just thinking with the more basic amino group that a more acidic aqueous layer would be more propitiate for extraction but then again I am just guessing. :)

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 17:32

Propitiate is a verb.

As to the chemistry, you have a protonable amine and a second material that is more soluble in ether (miscible according to Hawley's) than water (Kirk Othmer). Could verify in CRC, Merck, or Lange's. I don't want to go spoon feeding the OP questions they could learn to answer for theirselves, school or not (though it is legitimate to ask). They clearly haven't even considered melting points, if not a school question....
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 17-3-2015 at 08:07

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
Propitiate is a verb.

Don't know what I was think with propitiate- must of been late! Thanks Chemosynth, I was just curious about the problem!

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Go To Top