Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New House, New Lab!!!
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chlorine Trifloride Flame Thrower

biggrin.gif posted on 20-3-2015 at 20:12
New House, New Lab!!!

Well, with the destruction of a marriage and the intense dislike between my parents (Im 15) the wonderful news of the move excited me because I get to create a new lab! Moving to a new area and that means packing up my lab and starting all new. New desks and shelves storage and fire retardants and the increase of house insurance (JK).

I was hopping you had some input guys for the new lab. I do chemistry but I have recently been doing indoor gardening so tips help and if you have any good pictures of your lab I would like the inspiration.

I was hopping to go with 3 walls of desks and LED lights with a tray like grow station for my future botany projects. I also need room fore my fish tank that feeds my plants (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:724249)

Thank you for the ideas.

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 20:43

Congrats (I think!) The break up of a family is a pretty rough thing and few survive without taking some crossfire.

Your lab setup will depend largely on what you intend to do, what space you have, what equipment you have and what money you have to spend.

There is a thread around where people show off their labs. (I wouldn't call it a representative sample. People will only show off something that they are proud of and there are probably a lot more chaotic labs than shown.) But I recommend you look it up if you are searching for ideas.

You might also try woelen's site http://woelen.homescience.net/science/index.html He gives a lot of practical advice on all manner of things including projects to attempt and he mentions equipment and reagents along the way. http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/misc/homelab.html
J.
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 20:48

I have a average room car storage room to work with.

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 00:18
Home Lab Setting Up

I think that there should be a 'sticky' for home lab setup,
I'll start, please delete if I missed amy previous similar threads.

Safety;
. Quick exit route
. Good ventilation
. Fume extraction
. Fire extinguisher
. Sand bucket
. conveniently accessible storage for goggles/face shield, gloves, lab coat etc.
. Good lighting
. Lockable Lab area when not in use
. Waste materials and neutralizing bin
. means of calling for help should the worst happen

Convenience;
. a.c. power outlets
. lots of storage space = shelves and cupboards
. more storage shelves and cupboards
. chemical storage should be near the ventilation outlet
. Running water, tap, sink etc.
. Bulk distilled water storage/dispenser
. Internet connection
. a fume cupboard would be good
. Space for a 'buddy'
. try to keep as much area as possible fume free.

Also remember that you are of a maturing age,
your interests may change a few times so consider other potential uses for the area.

SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 07:16

I would like to make it adaptable to new interests (Like the biotechnology program I will be in next year). That's why so much desk space is wanted.

Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 08:41

Well if you're doing botany and aquaculture you shouldn't need to much except ventilation and moisture proofed wall sealant to prevent mold. If you're doing chemistry, I'd say it would be awfully limited; chemicals could potentially make their way into your fish tank/ terrarium.

Maybe you could try making your use of space have maximum efficiency, with a plan of sorts? (ie: Chemistry stuff does not have permanent space on desk, lives in cabinet when not in use. Fish tank given permanent space on desk. &c)

Sorry if that doesn't make sense like I had hoped.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 14:58

Quote: Originally posted by SimpleChemist-238  
I was hopping to go with 3 walls of desks

For your interns? :D

Congrats on the optimism and new lab.
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 19:13

thanks

SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 15:53

here is the space

IMG_20150331_185008.jpg - 947kB

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 16:36

I just bought 2 of these "Green Houses" from Harbor Freight. They were 36 bucks each shipped, and are a GREAT addition. You can add whatever spectrum lights you want, and in my case I added a small humidifier, on the bottom shelf for each.

All together with lights, and humidifiers I am into it for under 125.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-tier-5-ft-greenhouse-96911.ht...

Sorry to hear about the family deal... It has to suck. Keep your goals, and love your parents, no matter what.

image_13076.jpg - 349kB

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.

Go To Top