Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Wierd...
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2006 at 12:56

Today my chemistry teacher gave me some new old (20-30 years) NaClO3 so I can start experimenting with it. I also got some potassium nitrate (20-30 years old) and some new potassium nitrate so I can also test it.

I mixed some sodium chlorate woth suggar and to the mixture I added some conc.H2SO4. Nothing happened. Even the suggar didnt charr so I think something is wrong with the H2SO4. I made the conc.H2SO4 by boiling down battery acid until thick fumes appeared (SO3). I added the sulfuric acid to the mixture of sodium chlorate and suggar about 30 min. after I made it. The conc.H2SO4 could absorb some water during that time but I doubt that because most of the time the sulfuric acid was in a baker that was sealed by 3-4 layers of toilet paper and abowe the toilet paper was a brick. I opened the conc.H2SO4 5-7 minutes before I added it to the mixture.

When I test the KNO3 I will post the results.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 13-7-2006 at 13:30

NaClO3 is rather hygroscopic. Especially this time of the year, in the midwest anyway.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-7-2006 at 01:03

Try adding the supposed NaClO3 to your 19% HCl. You should obtain the yellow gas and bubbles as they are on my website (see a few posts back). If the liquid remains colorless and no yellow gas at all is formed, then it is not NaClO3.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-7-2006 at 08:15

I mixed the NaClO3 with sulfur and tried to ignite it with a propane/butane torch. The mix did not ignite but some crackling sound appeared and lasted for about 30 seconds after I stopped heating the mix and cristals of the NaClO3 were jumping.

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
Try adding the supposed NaClO3 to your 19% HCl. You should obtain the yellow gas and bubbles as they are on my website (see a few posts back). If the liquid remains colorless and no yellow gas at all is formed, then it is not NaClO3.

I tried it. Nothing happened. Only a part of the cristals just dissolved. I do not thing that the NaClO3 was mislabeled since I saw the formula on the bottle from wich I got the NaClO3. Altough it is possible that something else was in the bottle since I also got a empty bottle of chloroform (my chemistry teacher gave me besides chemicals a lot of empty bottles and glassware and a gas mask) and a solid chunk of something was in it. She would often refill the bottles after their original content was spend and she would not put a new label on the bottle.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-7-2006 at 10:32

Well, then it is not NaClO3. Believe me, NaClO3 reacts with HCl and this reaction is VERY sensitive. The compound ClO2 has a really intense color.

Quote:
She would often refill the bottles after their original content was spend and she would not put a new label on the bottle.

If this really is true, then I think she is a bad teacher, despite the fact that she is so kind to give you many interesting items. It is a VERY VERY bad practice if bottles are refilled with chemicals and the labels are not updated or exchanged. I can hardly believe this from a chemistry teacher :o.

But again, the chemical you obtained is not what she said. The best thing you can do is ask her about that and show her this 'weird' thread. Maybe she is able to help you and tell you really what is in that bottle. Otherwise you need to do some qualitative analysis.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-7-2006 at 03:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Zinc
She would often refill the bottles after their original content was spend and she would not put a new label on the bottle.

I exaggerated when I said that (I was very angry at her at that time for doing that). She did that only 2-3 times and probbably she just forgot to put a new label on the bottles. She works in that school for about 30 years and most of the chemicals are about that old so she could do that 30 years ago ( she did that only a t the old bottles). The thing that she reffiled the bottles and forgot to put a new label on the bottles is not really important (it is to me and my friend) because 95% of the chemicals in the cabinet are not used in class anymore and will probbably be thrown away in the near future.

Today I will test the old and new potassium nitrate and I will post the results.

Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 08:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Zinc
Today I will test the old and new potassium nitrate and I will post the results.

I tested both of them and none of them burned with sulfur. I ground them seperatly with a mortar and pestele and mixed them by shaking them in a film can.
Do you know why?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top