Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ebay Glassware Kits?
Virocentrism
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 11:03
Ebay Glassware Kits?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum (and to home chemistry) and had a query with respect to acquiring glassware, specifically distillation apparatus.

I understand that ebay can be a valuable resource for some items, but what about kits like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Organic-Chemistry-Laboratory-Glass...

For the price, I'm not expecting much in the way of quality but I can upgrade at a later date. Have any of you guys experience with this sort of stuff? I'm a little dubious of the supplier and concerned that bulk buying like this may draw unduly attention to myself. I live in the U.K. and would rather not get a knock on the door and this stuff confiscated before I've even gotten started.

Thanks in advance.
ISCGora
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 11:22

That kit is pretty good only thing you are missing that would be handy is:
hot plate/stir plate
stirring rods
beaker
Erlenmeyer flask
But for a start that is very good.

And welcome ;)
Virocentrism
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 11:35

Thanks for the reply ISCGora, I will probably go for that kit.

All the things you listed will be easy enough for me to get. I come from a molecular biology background and have some old supplies that I can use. Its equipment like condensers etc that we wouldn't be using in our area.

My concerns are more to do with the authorities. I know that owning glassware isn't illegal in the U.K. per se, but we have some really anal retentive police around here that wouldn't care either way.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 11:48

I received the smaller kit from ben015 two weeks ago, and it isn't the first thing i ordered from them.

It is good glassware.

I found one or two manufacturing marks, but the glass is sound, and has already been used in several distillations with no problems.

The main reason that i lose glassware is because i drop it/drop something on it, usually when cleaning it, so for me, cheap glassware works fine.

If i were to try Energetics or Lethally Poisonous Silliness one day, then perhaps having a big name glassware set would be a good idea.

As it is, ben015 glassware has worked very well for me, especially for the price.

The glass on this thread is almost all Chinese glass :-
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61566&...

ISCGora
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 12:08

Well they really cant do anything to you just because of possessing some glass they can only maybe come ask what are your plans or such but nothing else.
But even if they come you should be kind ether way.I am lucky my countary doesnt have really strong regulations for anything chemistry related. But good luck anyways:)
Virocentrism
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 12:10

That's great aga, thanks for letting me know.

Going to make the purchase now and will gather the rest of my supplies whilst I wait for the kit to arrive.
Virocentrism
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 12:28

You're right ISCGora, they can't do anything. It's just unnecessary hassle and I'd always have the feeling that I was being closely watched for the day I purchase anything remotely dangerous. I'm a pretty paranoid person so this is probably all unnecessary worry.

Damn authorities are ridiculous nowadays, everyone who owns an erlenmeyer flask is a meth cook in their eyes.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 23:02

Since you may buy the distillation kit you should consider the sellers other items
as there will be no additional postal charges.

Go To Top