Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: can piperine be distilled under vacuum??
UltraHazardous
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-3-2015 at 13:56
can piperine be distilled under vacuum??

I know this seems stupid but I gave my vacuum pump away and I don't have the resources to find out myself so her I am... yet again...

Can Piperine be distilled under high vacuum? it decomposes before boiling at regular pressures according to Wikipedia.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 27-3-2015 at 14:26

Recrystallization might be an easier option, depending on the purity you're starting with.

Procedures on Erowid suggest recrystallization from acetone, IPA or 3:2 acetone:hexane;
https://erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/3base/piperonal...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 27-3-2015 at 16:53

Quote: Originally posted by UltraHazardous  
Can Piperine be distilled under high vacuum? it decomposes before boiling at regular pressures according to Wikipedia.

Maybe

The melting point is listed as anywhere between 106-130C depending on where you look. Distilling materials that are solid at room temperature takes finesse. They love to plug condensers, plug columns, plug takeoffs, anything they can. And the higher above room temperature the more issues. At these sorts of temperatures you would likely need heat tape over a good chunk or your setup and to throttle your condenser. And even then it would be difficult to prevent plugging. But me, I love distilling materials that are solids at room temperature, it's a passion of mine.

However, that's not the only thing working against you. Granted I only did a quick Google search, but usually boiling point is only a little harder to find than form (i.e., solid, liquid, or gas). But no dice, even obscure boiling points under vacuum are fair game for an MSDS so it was strange not to even see that odd-ball boiling point at 10^-7 torr or something of that nature. But that does not mean it's impossible, as I said before it would already be a bit of a pain to distill if it came over at normal temperatures.

What some places did list was a theoretical boiling point (which can also be found in some modeling software to consumers, my ChemDraw at work will predict boiling points). And this is.... just South of 500C. But don't despair, using a nomograph there is a slim chance of hope at around 0.3 mm Hg (hey, let's be realistic here) you might be able to distill your piperine at about 200C. Of course if you can get a diffusion pump I would be certain that you could distill it (or perhaps even sublime it) but then again if you had access to a diffusion pump you probably wouldn't be asking this question to begin with.

[Edited on 3/28/2015 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top