Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Indium Smelting into Ingots
zephler1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2015 at 07:40
Indium Smelting into Ingots

About 6 kg of Indium metal, that was produced from the Electrowinning of an InCl3 solution was placed into a crucible. The crucible was heated at 200C for 2 hours. From this the dross was scraped off the top of the molten Indium and the Indium was poured into bars. However, only about 2kg of lovely Indium ingots were produced. The other 4kg or so has been is Dross or Indium Oxide. Can anyone give some tips or point me to some literature on how to reduce the amount of Dross formation during Indium smelting? I was expecting a small protective layer on the surface of the molten metal, but it seems that obviously most of the material was converted to dross instead of just the molten metal....please help!
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-3-2015 at 08:50

Sounds like you needed an inert gas blanket to process the liquid metal?

A quick google search?

http://fiesta.bren.ucsb.edu/~dturney/port/papers/Kano_2008.p...

As Indium metal is now worth somewhere near US $800 kg? Perhaps sell it to a metal refining & production company...

http://buy.solder.com/99-9-Pure-Indium-Shot-Minimum-Purity-1...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top