Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Matrix Scientific?
Riking
Harmless

Mood: Relieved.

sad.gif posted on 7-4-2015 at 06:06
Matrix Scientific?

I figured that some people on here might have bought from this company, so I came to ask this question.

Do the folks at www.matrixscientific.com sell to individuals? I found them a few days ago and saw that they had some pretty hard to find chemicals in stock, but I don't want to order from them until I know whether or not they ship to residential addresses (I don't want to be raided by the police over something as trivial as this). This is frustrating for me because it's very hard to find good suppliers these days, what with the nanny state mentality taking the world by storm.

Thanks in advance.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." – Albert Einstein
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 06:34

They accept credit card at check out, but will probably verify your address to make sure it is commercial.

I put something in the cart and walked all the way through account creation, providing a shipping account, etc., and arrived at the total screen with the option to provide a credit card.

They seem to have a lot of specialty reagents.

I also imagine they would follow up with you, especially if they are a smaller company.

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by Loptr]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 07:08

Matrix Scientific and Oakwood Chemicals are both children companies of Columbia Organics, which is the company that Max Gergal started (many people here have seen his books about starting a chemical company). They both started by previous Columbia employees after Columbia was shut down as a superfund site. Both still do some synthesis but also repackage many chemicals from China and India. I suspect that both only ship to commercial addresses, and if you order anything controlled or regulated, they will ask for more information. But both are small, helpful companies, and might be more flexible than Aldrich or other big guys.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 07:23

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Matrix Scientific and Oakwood Chemicals are both children companies of Columbia Organics, which is the company that Max Gergal started (many people here have seen his books about starting a chemical company). They both started by previous Columbia employees after Columbia was shut down as a superfund site. Both still do some synthesis but also repackage many chemicals from China and India. I suspect that both only ship to commercial addresses, and if you order anything controlled or regulated, they will ask for more information. But both are small, helpful companies, and might be more flexible than Aldrich or other big guys.

Yeah, stay away from anything suspicious. If they are more open to selling to individuals, you don't want to ruin it with a bad experience on their end.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 07:54

Stupid question but I've wondered this... how much to places like this verify? So does this commercial address need a license behind it or will just shipping it to my job be good enough? Mind you the small business I work for would not care but we have absolutely nothing to do with chemistry, actually the furthest from it... we are a consumer electronics retail location. We have a commercial address, loading dock etc but we have no business ordering chemicals. I was just wondering if anyone tried it or knew it if would work, I am imagining no since anyone could tell what we do from the address.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 08:54

Quote: Originally posted by szuko03  
Stupid question but I've wondered this... how much to places like this verify? So does this commercial address need a license behind it or will just shipping it to my job be good enough? Mind you the small business I work for would not care but we have absolutely nothing to do with chemistry, actually the furthest from it... we are a consumer electronics retail location. We have a commercial address, loading dock etc but we have no business ordering chemicals. I was just wondering if anyone tried it or knew it if would work, I am imagining no since anyone could tell what we do from the address.

I would imagine for something like Matrix, this might be enough. However, commercial locations do have classifications that define what type of business is conducted there.

The company I work for has their hands in everything, and I mean everything. Now, my particular location, not so much. This hasn't stopped me from ordering solvents to this location, because well, I need them to clean printed circuit boards. ;)
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 09:32

I'll have to try it sometime when I have the extra funds and what not. I know my boss wouldn't care, people with our type of hobby are rare and I never forgo an opertunity to spread some knowledge so chemicals/solvents coming here would be more the topic of jokes rather then a "who what where" sort of situation.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 17:52

It's not stupid at all.

Fisher Scientific uses Google Earth to verify an address. The actually look at the location.

Dow Corning does not. They simply ask.

It really depends on the company, the time of day, did the processor have his her coffee?

A legit shipping address, and company name will do for every company I have applied to.
I have NO degrees or special training in chemistry but I do have 8 - 10 accounts with the largest companies I could find.

Keep your orders REAL, If you have to stretch the truth to order something... you shouldn't order it.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 18:35

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

It's not stupid at all.

Fisher Scientific uses Google Earth to verify an address. The actually look at the location.

Dow Corning does not. They simply ask.

It really depends on the company, the time of day, did the processor have his her coffee?

A legit shipping address, and company name will do for every company I have applied to.
I have NO degrees or special training in chemistry but I do have 8 - 10 accounts with the largest companies I could find.

Keep your orders REAL, If you have to stretch the truth to order something... you shouldn't order it.

Unfortunately, this is the case with a lot of amateurs. They don't work for a company that is willing to accept the risk, or they work for a company that wouldn't be able to pass their tests.

I seem to recall you mention you being dual zoned, which is definitely a help when it comes to being honest about your personal business, since it still passes the "is it a commercial property" test. From what I have heard, Sigma Aldrich has an automated system that runs the checks without an operator being involved.

I am considering attempting a test purchase from Matrix, something obscure but benign, and see how the process goes. Does anybody have any ideas? I am not up on the latest literature and peptide coupling research whatsoever, which I see a lot of related items on Matrix, so I am some what hesitant to just pick something out. lol Especially with the consideration of not knowing how to handle the said reagent once it arrives.

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by Loptr]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 20:42

Get something you can use. Maybe a Lab Bench mat or something. Why buy a Chem you don't need?

Vacuum tubing or anything useful.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 06:54

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
Get something you can use. Maybe a Lab Bench mat or something. Why buy a Chem you don't need?

Vacuum tubing or anything useful.

Because there is a difference between ordering a reagent vs equipment. You can order the usual equipment (special items might be more of an issue) from most companies being an individual, while the reagents tend to be out of reach.

Besides, the particular reagent I have in mind is something I recall reading about college, which is actually pretty expensive if you were to attempt to order from SA or others. The particular named reaction has been mentioned here on SM less than a handful of times, and it might be an interesting reaction to document.

This reaction is also something that is beyond my abilities at the moment, as I haven't performed a similar reaction since college, so it might take a while before anything is posted.

Besides, I can get vacuum tubing and lab mats, elsewhere. I was looking at some ribbed rubber mats at my local Ace Hardware store just the other day.
Riking
Harmless

Mood: Relieved.

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 08:15

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'll be erring on the side of "won't sell to individuals" this time, which is a shame. They have some really good reagents in stock...:(

Still, thanks for the help.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." – Albert Einstein
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 11:31

I placed a test order with Matrix Scientific last night. I was told it would be shipping out today.

Let's see how this goes.

(Funny story, it turns out the company I work for already has an account with them, except it's our Biomedical group.)

EDIT: This would have been really cool if they were a general chemical supplier, but they seem to be more of an API type supplier. Too bad, as I don't have a need or want for almost everything they sell. In fact, I feel like majority of what they sell could raise suspicion.

Go To Top