Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Time and Cost
szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 13:35
Time and Cost

So I recently found myself in a position to actually start building a real lab and start collecting real glassware and chemicals. By my figures the first part of the lab, just a normal distillation set up completely with the condensers RBF of different sizes etc is about 200 dollars, and thats just for one part (made up of lots of little parts) but it doesnt even include a heating element.

My question is how long did it take and approximately how long did it take for you to realize you have a large collection? And of course its never complete, thats why I didnt use that word ;)

I just couldnt see myself thinking it was "too much" unless I had a 12 pack of 2000mL RBF then it may be unnecessary.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 13:48

Actually, you seem to be starting by the Organic part :D

Many of us, myself included, started by the more Inorganic part of Chemistry. Thus, the glassware I started obtaining were Beakers, Erlenmeyers, Pippetes, Graduated Cylinders, Test tubes, stuff like that.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 13:48

10 years and I still find myself buying equipment, or making it.
Also, I don't usually buy anything on just "anticipation."

I knew organic chemistry was going to be my main pursuit so my first purchase was a good quality 19/22 distillation kit like I had used in college. Then I built a fume hood. I also knew I was in this for the long haul so buy good quality, especially on critical items where my safety is at stake.

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 14:19

I have a ceiling of $3,500.00US on supplies, and $2,000.00 on the lab itself.

I converted a spare room, added a second door, and fire suppression (few hundred).

I can build almost everything else from the fume hood to plumbing, air, vacuum pumps, lighting ect.

I set my goals pretty high, and reckon I will have a lab WORTH having. I did not include any chemicals in my investment price. That will be incidental, and solely up to the work I undertake.

If I had to guesstimate the value of the complete lab if I did NOT do most of the building... perhaps 15K, if you assume a fume hood is 7K, and a storage cabinet is 1K, ect...

Some of what I am buying is used heating equipment, and some used glass ware, a second hand Squirrel Cage fan for the fume hood, that does double duty as a Laminar flow hood, used stainless sink off of Ebay, building my own vacuum pump...

It all depends on the level you want. I want to be able to run almost any reaction, experiment, process I can do in a 20 x 20 foot lab.

Like I said... My budget is $5,500.00 US (for now) but I will be well set up.

[Edited on 4-7-2015 by Zombie]

I forgot to post my time frame... I assumed 6 months. That is just to keep the Mrs. happy by allowing time, and funds for her needs as well.

I may take longer than I thought but not by much.

[Edited on 4-7-2015 by Zombie]

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 14:23

The first stuff i went looking for was the cheapest stuff at the supermarket that came in a small glass jar, just so i had jars to put stuff in.

Why i now have 6x 250ml RBFs, a Soxhlet rig, a Dean-Stark trap and three Liebig condensers is a mystery, as i still don't really know enough to make proper use of them !

I remember : Ebay !

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 14:31

Ebay almost got me a spot in the Dog Kennel.

I did receive a reality check on that one. I still did pretty well there tho. I assume 2 of everything, and 4 of most things will suit me well. I hate to stop doing something because a simple thing breaks.

Be it chemistry, and a beaker or fiberglass repair, and a right angle grinder.
(sorry I mentioned the Grinder Mr. Aga.)

I'm sure the finger is doing well.:cool:

Zom.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 15:11

El Digito is doing amazingly well.

It's kind of stuck itself back together in just a few days.

Human bodies are amazing.

I should get some from ebay and experiment on them.

Edit:

A quick search and you can only get dead ones.

The Live ones are really expensive, and all seem to want Marriage as part of the deal.

If only i had a Sigma Aldrich account ...

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by aga]

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 17:02

U2U me.

I know a guy that can get digits. Keep this under your hat tho...

Zom.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 06:14

I should mention that its not as if I stepped up to the plate first time at bat and immediately bought some LAH and a glass of water trying to make steam... my sad attempt at a joke. I have been doing basic chemistry at home ever since I started college like 10 years ago at this point... I finally decided enough making fireworks and acting like its satisfying my desire to do real chemistry, and now that I have the funding and space I decided to do organic chemistry reactions like the ones I fell in love with.

I admire a lot of you guys, even the people with basic set ups doing basic reactions, to me its all about keeping the chemistry going and keeping the topic alive. I know I'm going to learn a lot over the years from you guys!

And wow some of you guys really have some impressive stuff!

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.

Go To Top