Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Determining bond lengths and atomic size
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 22:42
Determining bond lengths and atomic size

I want some data comparing uranyl ions of U-235 and U-238. Wikipedia says the U-O bond is about 180pm but it doesn't specify an isotope. Are they much different? How much larger is the U-238 than U-235? Is there a good program for this kind of thing?

[Edited on 10-4-2015 by crazyboy]
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 16:19

Bond lengths are quite insensitive to the nuclear isotope. The electrons move in the field of the nuclei, which depends on the nuclear charges and positions but not their masses. Hence the Born-Oppenheimer potentials do not depend on the nuclear masses. The kinetic energy term in the Born-Oppenheimer Hamiltonian for the nuclear motion does contain the nuclear masses, and this affects the vibrational frequencies. It also affects the size of the (approximately Gaussian) wave function for the ground state, but since this wave function is to a good approximation centered at the minimum of the potential, which as just mentioned doesn't depend on the nuclear masses, the average bond length of a diatomic also does not depend strongly on the nuclear masses. The Born-Oppenheimer potential is not exactly symmetric about the minimum, so changing the width of the ground state wave function does cause a shift in the average position, but the effect is small.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 23:55

OK that makes sense. The reason I ask is I am in a protein engineering class and we have to think of a novel protein to design. I thought that perhaps a protein could be made to selectively bind certain isotopes but that may not be the case. Are there any elements that are that are hard to separate that are in the same group or maybe have similar properties? For example palladium and platinum. The ions could be separated by a selectivity filter or if they are complexed then perhaps stabilized by different sized binding pockets... Any thoughts?

Selectivity filter 1
Selectivity filter 2

Go To Top