Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Methyl Anthranilate -> Quinazolinone synth with microwaves
Orsyn
Harmless

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 30-5-2015 at 20:12
Methyl Anthranilate -> Quinazolinone synth with microwaves

This one seems almost too good to be true:
http://www.jpsr.pharmainfo.in/Documents/Volumes/Vol1Issue3/p...

cheers
edit: oic, the pyridine is a catalyst. Can anyone advise as to any other catalysts that might also work?

[Edited on 31-5-2015 by Orsyn]
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 30-5-2015 at 20:37

There's a lot of examples on rhodium's methaqualone page https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/quaalude.ht...
"Anthranilic acid (10 grams) is dissolved in acetic anhydride (20 ml) and the temperature raised progressively to 190-200°C at which temperature distillation takes place. The last traces of acetic acid are removed under vacuum and after cooling to about 50-60°C, o-toluidine (10 grams) is added in portions. The temperature is then raised to 170-200°C when the excess water and o-toluidine is gradually distilled off, finally maintaining the temperature at 180-200°C for 2 hours. After cooling to about 100°C, 30ml dilute HCl is added and the mixture boiled and stirred. The solution is neutralized with NaOH with stirring, and the crude product which separates is recrystallized twice from alcohol. The yield is 70% of theory."
I no sure whether this method will not work with a regular ammonia, same about microwave.
Orsyn
Harmless

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 31-5-2015 at 11:05

I'm well familiar with Rhodium's page and as well much of the literature around this chemistry; the posted route is interesting though for a couple reasons. For one, no O-Toluidine needed; and MA is very much OTC, in fact neither of the other two necessary ingredients are exactly unobtanium, although I'm not really itching to distill any pyridine anytime soon (no have fume hood), which brings me back to my question: are there any other candidates for catalysts here that anyone is aware of?
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
22-11-2023 at 19:28

Go To Top