Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Questions on the Reactivity of Grignard reagents
Leo Szilard
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2015 at 06:36
Questions on the Reactivity of Grignard reagents

I understand that alkyl halide reactivity in the formation of Grignard reagents generally follows I>Br>Cl>>F. A question that I have is how the reactivity of generic Grignards, R-MgX, compare for X=I,Br,Cl,F. For example, is there an appreciable difference in reactivity between R-MgCl and R-MgI? If so, is the difference largely in nucleophiliity or basicity?

Additionally, I understand that Grignards are generally less basic than organilithiums. But does the basicity of alkyl Grignards follow the same trend as alkyllithiums, that is: do we expect the trend that alkylmagnesium halides rank as tert>sec>pri in terms of basicity? My guess is that t-butylmagnesium bromide, for example, is more basic that n-butylmagnesium bromide. But going back to my original question, if we compare t-butylmagnesium chloride with t-butylmagnesium iodide is there an expectation that one will be more strongly basic?

Lastly, the way in which lithium coordinates to oxygen in addition reactions (or deprotonation reactions) of organolithium reagents with carbonyl compounds is very important in predicting stereochemistry. Is the same true for Grignards? I guess my question relates to the comparison of the Lewis acidity (or "coordination ability"? :/) of MgX vs Li. I have read that Grignards are generally less aggregated in ether solutions than organilithiums...maybe that's the answer.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 25-6-2015 at 16:23

Dunno Leo; must be some papers out there on the subject. But, I don't know where they are.

Much of the selection of which Aryl/Alkyl- Halogen to use to form a Grignard , seems to relate either to impossiblity or expense.

Iodides and Bromides are more expensive. Some Chlorides may be gasses at normal temperatures(making them more difficult to work with). And, directly creating a Grignard reagent with and Aryl Chloride or Fluoride, may be damn neigh impossible.

Go To Top