Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trouble Cleaning DCM
CaptainPike
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2015 at 11:04
Trouble Cleaning DCM

I bought a can of dichloromethane on eBay, a half-gallon, or something – in a metal can just like the big sizes in the hardware store of acetone, toluene etc.

I have been using this off and on since 2013, no reason to suspect anything. But I noticed that the can was rusting on the top (outside). DCM typically has 1.5% water azeotropiclly. I decided to distill what was left (about 1 L) because it looked a little orange, I figured from rust. When I distilled the DCM, my thermometer read not much more than 35°C, and the product is still yellowish. Could it be I have appreciable methanol dissolved in this "DCM"? What would come over so that the distallate was yellowish? The still pot contained a small puddle of deeply rust colored gunk as I expected.

Any ideas what might be going on here?
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2015 at 13:20

Rust does sound likely. Try a second distillation at lower temperature, to avoid entrainment of whatever the contaminant is?
CaptainPike
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-6-2015 at 17:38

+Mr.HomeScientist – good idea. I looked up the word, "entrainment", Dictionary.com says

to carry along (a dissimilar substance, as drops of liquid) during a given process, as evaporation or distillation.

Chemistry has such cool words. You know, I believe I have learned more great and useful words in my study of chemistry than I have, the chemistry itself! Like supernatant (pronounced the best by UC235). Anyway, I had initially tried filtering the methylene chloride, thinking that the rust particles would be caught in some good VWR filter paper I have.. Indeed, some large pieces were stopped but the filtration was essentially useless. A funny thing happened: the weting of filter paper by the DCM did nothing to help stick it down on the porous plate, the way a little water will.

But I think you're right. I decided to go ahead and use the tainted solvent for an extraction I wanted to finish. And wouldn't you know it – in the recovery of the solvent, it came out crystal clear (with little gobs of water floating on top). But here, I was moving much more slowly, not wanting to oxidize my product. And my still pot was much smaller. I can't help feeling there's another factor at work here, however.

And one more thing (sounds like Columbo) here is where a little anhydrous calcium chloride really does the trick. I had expected that the DCM purchased by a supply, (even on eBay) would be dry. But I'll bet it came with the nasty little azeotrope comfortably in place.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2015 at 05:47

Glad to help!

Go To Top