Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Glassware Organization
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 13:59

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Glass does not work as boiling stones. Smash a flowerpot or porcelain tile.

Yeah. Bits of glass are not brilliant, but better than nothing.

An innocent flowerpot's destiny just got sealed ;)

Thanks the the tip !

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 14:15

Ave has a recipe for boiling chips made from sodium silicate made into a really porous structure. I tried it and can confirm that you get really good nucleation. However, I think I misremembered something of the recipe because my chips have poor structural integrity. Perhaps she could post it again.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 14:20

I store the real glassware I have on my lab desk surface off to one side (OK, not a lab desk surface, it's made from a door...), and keep a good bit of non-pyrex glass jars and stuff for an emergency beaker or for storing waste or things that won't get heated. Table-top storage of ~8 varied flasks and ~10 beakers, as well as a distillation flask, a few measurement-al glass pieces, and a condenser is quite fine, along with about 20 test tubes. Just stays where I need it. When I eventually get ground glass, I hope to have a hard case or two for it.

On the side topic of porcelain chips, my mom had a dinner plate with a fracture in it she didn't need. So I got it and smashed it up a bit and now I have a big box of chips that'll last me through any future chemical business I could have. Under test they worked great, but when distilling something that had sugar in the mix, the fine porcelain produced a ton of tiny bubbles which made a foam that shot through the rig into the receiving flask. So very fine porcelain isn't perfect for the job.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top