Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chem. engineering or Chem technology?
bigtrevs98
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-7-2015 at 10:24
Chem. engineering or Chem technology?

So I'm about to go into collage and was a bit curious. I'm asking everyone here, which one do you prefer Chemical engineering or Chemical Technology? And what are the differences between thentwo? I've googleD but most of the info is very vague so any help would be appreciated.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-7-2015 at 10:36

I really couldnt comment on the differences but its not going to matter the first 2 years you are at school. You still need to get all your prerequisites prior to officially enrolling in a major and what not. Its a good thing because honestly you dont need to worry about it and you can take the classes you want find out what interests you and focus on it.

Its not like there are just those two and only those two. Who knows you may think you want to do chemistry but really you want to do bio chem or something just be open and you will find what you are looking for.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 1-7-2015 at 10:41

Chemical Engineering is nominally a 4-year professional degree program (it may be practically a 5-year nowadays). I suspect that chemical technology is more like a 2-year degree having less emphasis on sciences and math courses as foundation.

I recommend you go to the website of some candidate schools and pull up their curriculum for each. This will give the exact courses you would have to take.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 12:24

Gumby says..... "Go for the big money!"

Generally, low level Chem jobs are basically shit-shoveling jobs. And, lots of competition, for a miniscule number of jobs.

Even years ago, when job conditions were better, we advertised a job for a lab tech/store room attendant, and hundreds of people applied. No Chemical Engineers, but plenty of advanced Chem. degrees.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 13:26

If Chemistry is your passion, go for the course that will teach you the most.

The eventual Job that you do might be something entirely different for a while.

You never can know the future, so follow what your heart tells you is as good advice as any.

[Edited on 2-7-2015 by aga]

battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 16:29

*keep in mind I'm not in the US*

Chem. E. is mostly about thermodynamics, mass transfer, physics and its interaction with chemistry in industrial application. So chemistry isn't exactly the top priority in the program although it isn't useless either. Its a career that appeared to put a single person bridging the gap that once was filled by a chemistry and mechanical or maybe other engineer [trying] to work together. Most Chem. E. personnel goes to work in factories were they mostly will be working with process control trying to make the processing plant as profitable as possible (without breaking environmental laws). Although there is also research for people in this field it's mainly on a theoretical level (process and reactor modeling) using knowledge of transport phenomena and pretty fancy math... the most "chemisty" field I know of being catalysis and reactor design.
Chem Tech is a quick degree (2 or 3 years) were you'll end up getting even less chemistry background than a Chem. E. student. Its interesting, around here, because it can be took along with high school education (the high school become a full time study and take 4 years long instead of the usual 3) so people can quickly get to the job market and try to make money to maybe afford a higher level degree (in case he is not going to have grades to get to a govern owned institution were there aren't tuition and stuff). Usually in a job be it in a research institute or a factory you'd be doing maintenance and some dull stuff like titration or cleaning glassware.

TL;DR: The amount of chemistry learned is Chemistry Bachelor > Chemical Engineer > Chem. Tech.
ChemPlayer_
Harmless

Mood: Synthetic

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 21:12

If your passion is chemistry as a science, i.e. learning about the different reactions, patterns, fundamentals, beauty in the nature etc. then 'chemical technology' might be more your thing although I'm suspicious about that title and also the length of the course as you'd be better trying to find a 'real' science degree (which is going to be 3 years minimum).

If you are more into the 'practicalities' of how to scale up reactions and perform them economically in real life, how to design processes, how thermodynamics and the physics etc. work on a larger scale, and how to keep it all safe, then chemical engineering is going to be your thing. Expect more maths and physics but probably more $ at the end of it as well (and having a no BS engineering background never hurts in todays 'phony MBA' corporate world even if you decide to do something else later).

As others have suggested ask for a detailed syllabus for each course - do you see 'science' (theory, organic / inorganic / physical chemistry, labwork, etc.) or is it more thermodynamics, physics, process design etc. in which case it's the 'engineering' flavour...

Go To Top