Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2,3 dichlorobenzoyl chloride
metalayer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 03:04
2,3 dichlorobenzoyl chloride

I purchased some 2,3 dichlorobenzoyl chloride. This compound has an acyl chloride group but what I have doesn't react with water. The mp is correct however. Is it safe to say I have been ripped off?
NitreRat
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 03:27

Maybe it just reacts with water slowly like acetic anhydride. The electron withdrawing chloro groups on the benzene ring could be slightly deactivating the acyl chloride. Does it react with bases or nucleophiles? A good test for acyl chlorides is the reaction with silver nitrate which would precipitate white silver chloride.
metalayer
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 05:08

It reacted instantly with triethylamine, producing a yellow/white solid. That seems like the expected reaction between an amine and acyl chloride?

[Edited on 14-7-2015 by metalayer]
NitreRat
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 05:36

Well, triethylamine is a base so in aqueous conditions you would expect it to react with an acyl chloride, precipitating triethylammonium chloride, but the reaction shouldn't occur without water. Would it be possible to retry your test in anhydrous conditions? If it doesn't react with anhydrous triethylamine I would strongly suspect that you do indeed have 2,3 dichlorobenzoyl chloride.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 05:56

Try reacting it with ammonia or another good nucleophile. Those benzoyl chlorides are not real reactive so they will hydrolyze slowly in water. 2-chlorobenzoyl I just used, and it does not do a thing immediately, but slowly hydrolyzes over hours. That is how I work up the reaction to remove the excess acid chloride, then extract with aqueous base to remove the remaining acid. The amide reactions take overnight most times.

Bob
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
14-7-2015 at 09:12

Go To Top