Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sick from this Copper Stuff, any idea what it is?
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 14:36
Sick from this Copper Stuff, any idea what it is?

Any idea what this copper grease/paste stuff is? Got but a tiny bit rubber on my finger and feeling extremely light headed and stupid, a little sweaty too. It's in the bolt holes of my diffusion pump, i rubbed it off on some paper towel and washed my hands right after i touched it.

Unfortunately i cannot post pic because on phone and pic exceeds sizes....

Oh.
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 15:09

Its like a grease or sudge possible thread lubricant of aome kind maybe contaminated by other chemicals used in the vacuum experiments of the past user.

Oh.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 15:10

It sounds like that would be a copper bearing anti seize compound, if it was applied to bolts that need to not vacuum weld or heat weld to the holes they thread into.

I wouldn't EAT it, but have had it smeared all over my hands, arms, fingers, face & etc. while doing steam fitting and boiler work, or wrenching on engines. Never found it to be psychoactive yet-

However, depending on what you used the vacuum pump for? Maybe it dissolves or carries other "things".

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 17:25

I havent used the vacuum yet it's been sitting near me for a few months and no problems until i touched this copper sludge stuff. I cant ask the ebay seller what might be in it because i believe they were a liquidator simply reselling items and not really knowing the past of its use

Oh.
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 17:27

That's a pretty serious reaction, I can't imagine that it was caused solely by a lubricant unless you had an allergic reaction. I would imagine most lubricants would be petroleum, graphite, ceramic, or soap based; none of which should cause those kinds of reactions.

My guess is either that someone sucked up some really nasty stuff at some point which contaminated the grease, or you had an allergic reaction to something.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 18:21

I have some Lithium grease, for bearings, which is green,
the symptoms are similar to lithium poisoning?
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002667.htm
seems unlikely to absorb a toxic dose so easily though.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 19:28

Sounds like dinitrophenol (type) poisoning.

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-7-2015 at 23:39

Quote: Originally posted by Ozone  
Sounds like dinitrophenol (type) poisoning.

LMAO.

In reply to other posts...
Yea it's strange to me because ive had my hands all over the inside of the pump, inspecting all the conical oil "skirts", getting its oil all over my hands and such, never had a problem in the least but i only noticed this weird copper stuff now and i touched it to see if it was solid as a part of the metal flange or something and after a few minutes there goes all my normal sense of being

Oh.
SupaVillain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-7-2015 at 00:09

Here is a pic of one of the bolt holes, same stuff is in each hole on the flange. Im either allergic or the compound is contaminated with something that's hazardous, although this is outside of the O-ring so it wouldnt have been directly connected to chems inside of the vacuum chamber most likely. It has made no visible changes or any amount of irritation on my skin where i came in contact with it. I will be cleaning my pump thoroughly soon...

20150714_183105-1.jpg - 1.8MB

[Edited on 15-7-2015 by SupaVillain]

Oh.
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 15-7-2015 at 09:21

Anti-seize is more adhesive than that, and it's odd that it's just sitting there like a puddle. I think it's just copper particles and mineral oil, and maybe some heavy ethers.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.

Go To Top